How to find the right coop if you can't build it?

What do you all think of this one?

https://www.leonardusa.com/chicken-coops#product-group-889

8 ft x 10 ft, not a lot of details/pictures, may be bigger than I need but that's better than smaller, I'm sure. I had to fill out a form to get pricing, but the form said it's around $2100. If the cost of shipping doesn't push it out of our price range (it's two hours away), I'm thinking it could be a possibility....

Doesn't look bad, though I agree it would've been nice to see more interior photos or a diagram or video, especially since it sounds like the inside is divided (says there's a "feed room" which I assume is storage). If the actual chicken area is around 7x8, 8x8, it should be big enough.

If this is a unit you're interested in, would you be able to go and see a sample coop or two before buying? Two hours is a bit of a drive but it sure would be great to see it in person before committing.

Yes, definitely, if they pass the shipping test and think they would be able to get it in my fence, then I'd take a trip out to see one. I was wondering the same thing about the feed room, perhaps if it was too big, I could take the door/divider down.

Yes, definitely, if they pass the shipping test and think they would be able to get it in my fence, then I'd take a trip out to see one. I was wondering the same thing about the feed room, perhaps if it was too big, I could take the door/divider down.

I'm sure the feed room would be simple to remove.

Hello everyone! I'm still new to the forum and even newer to chickens (I don't have any yet)! I want to start out with 6-8 chickens but I would like the coop to be big, sturdy, and secure enough to let me expand the flock to 12-15 in a couple years if all goes well.

I am so impressed by all of you who have designed and built your own coops. Unfortunately, my husband and I aren't builders. Finding the right coop is probably going to be our biggest hurdle. I was excited to find a local man who sells BIG sturdy coops. I was disheartened when I saw a picture of the trailer he uses for delivery and realized that it would be impossible to get the trailer to the spot I want in our backyard. I could put it in our field (we have 5 acres) but I'd kind of like to keep it closer to the house. So unless I can find a local person to build me a coop for a price I can afford, it looks like I'm going to have to get a kit (that is simple and quick to assemble) or perhaps buy something fully assembled with wheels I can push into the yard from the road.

What do you all think of this one from https://overezchickencoop.com/product/large-over-ez-chicken-coop/

View attachment 1730399

It is 6 feet long x 5 feet wide and 6 feet high. I wish it was a couple feet longer. I would also purchase the wheels and the large run (6 ft W x 16' ft L x 6' ft H).

View attachment 1730400

Here is the other one I'm looking at from mypetchicken.com

View attachment 1730402
It is 8 ft L x 5 ft W x 8 ft H. I'd also get the optional run (8 ft L x 6 ft H). This coop is delivered fully assembled on a trailer but if it had wheels and was dropped off in the driveway, I could just push it into the backyard...right?

Do either of the above seem like viable choices or should I keep looking for someone local to build one for us? How many chickens do you think these coops could realistically house? I would like the chickens to free range some of the time, but not all day long every day (I worry about the hawks I see perched in our trees every so often, and we have dogs).

Thank you to everyone who kept reading this far. Any advice, small or large, is very welcome!
if he can put it together, he can also take apart and put back together at your location, might cost you a little bit extra, but you'll have the coop you want.

What about the first guy who is closer, did he assess your fence/gate?

I'm still waiting. He's my first choice if he's able to get the coop in my fence, he said he'd be in touch if he had a delivery in the area. So we'll see. I'm not hopeful a big trailer can make that turn without special equipment.

After a lot of thought, I decided not to put a coop in the pasture. The grass out there gets wild between bush-hoggings (I read that chickens like shorter grass). Also, it would be nice to contain my two young kids (toddler and almost-preschool age) in the fence while I do chicken chores, and I would like to have the chickens closer to watch, even if that means I can only have a few. And, I was thinking I could incorporate the back and side/corner of my existing fence and construct a pretty decent size run.

If I can, I'd prefer to support a local/small business, but David may have enough orders he's not extremely interested in a complicated delivery (if that was true, I wouldn't blame him a bit!).

You can do it yourself at a fraction of the cost! You might be able to get a vinyl floor scrap big enough to cover. Or use what I think is called Blackjack 57(?). Get the store to stir it for you, very thick! Thicker than paint.
Whatever you use, cover up from the floor about a foot to protect and make for easy clean up.

Or use what I think is called Blackjack 57(?). Get the store to stir it for you, very thick! Thicker than paint.
I'm not sure they'd put it on their shakers.
Remember one person said to put bucket upside down for a few days really helped before opening and stirring with power mixer.

Back
Top Bottom