How to fix a dislocated hip on my hen.

Brahmamama21

Hatching
Mar 1, 2021
Hello, I'm pretty sure from my research that my 11 month old hen has a dislocated hip. I suspect that the rooster was chasing her when she got stuck with one leg and wing forward and then him on top of her. Once I freed her, her leg has remained out in front with no movement. In a thread from earlier years a nurse had what sounded like the exact injury and she mentioned that she was able to manipulate the hip back into place. Does anyone know of a video or a detailed explanation of how to do that? Thank you.

my hen dislocated her hip too. we used popsicle sticks for a splint with cotton and vet wrap fronm the foot, up the leg and over the body. can she put weight on it?

Oh man! That dosen't sound so bright. I think you should run some tests on her, like moving her leg around to see which part it seems to hurt the most. I would try feeling her legs a little bit and seeing where it seems to most twisted. But once you find out how to fix it, you need to be extremely careful.

This honestly would be best addressed by an avian vet. IF it's dislocated, then trying to put it back and manipulating it incorrectly could do more damage. IF it's broken near the hip, those most often require surgery to repair/pin, and even then healing can be iffy in a break that far up. An x ray would tell whats going on, and you could go from there.

This is the result of an undetected broken pelvis looks like when it heals wrong.
20201207_140902.jpg
20210114_142620.jpg
When he was 12 weeks old, he started acting strange, I originally thought he just wasn't feeling good, but turns out he actually had injured himself somehow.

I had a bantam that broke her pelvis, I noticed this one since she was limping on her right side, & didn't want to put her leg down. I examined her leg, & hip join, but there was no break there, I felt her pelvis, & one side was moving when I felt it. I carefully realigned it, & it healed correctly without complications. I used no wrap, or anything. Just made sure her movements were limited.
20200718_154259.jpg
20200718_154203.jpg

This is not a do it yourself project! You will do more harm manipulating that area, and only xrays will tell what's actually wrong. If a vet visit isn't going to happen, at least don't make things worse.
Mary

You're situation seems more severe then what I can help you with.

If it's a hip bone fracture, amputation, or surgery to repair it through vet care maybe the only option, or putting the bird down. But most places don't take in chickens, but it won't hurt too look around.

This is the result of an undetected broken pelvis looks like when it heals wrong.
View attachment 2551896View attachment 2551897When he was 12 weeks old, he started acting strange, I originally thought he just wasn't feeling good, but turns out he actually had injured himself somehow.

I had a bantam that broke her pelvis, I noticed this one since she was limping on her right side, & didn't want to put her leg down. I examined her leg, & hip join, but there was no break there, I felt her pelvis, & one side was moving when I felt it. I carefully realigned it, & it healed correctly without complications. I used no wrap, or anything. Just made sure her movements were limited.
View attachment 2551899View attachment 2551900
Thanks. I haven't done anything besides had a friend, much more knowledgeable than me se if she could feel anything off and she couldn't. She still has no movement in the leg although it doesn't move as easily as it did before.

If one leg sticks forward and the other is back, that is a pretty common symptom of Marek's disease, so should be considered. Without seeing the bird it's really hard for any of us to really assess what may be going on.

Back
Top Bottom