How to "fix" a swamp??

Pics

GardenJen77

Songster
Mar 23, 2017
Central Michigan, USA
With the recent storms we have had, dumping large amounts of rain in a short time, our ground is a soaked sponge, and our runs look like swine pens. Not only mucky, but stinky, and the flys and gnats are everywhere.

Thinking about layering with a thick layer of sawdust to absorb moisture and stench. Moving the animals isn't possible, so we have to fix where they are.

Sugestions?!?

Whatever you put in (sawdust, shavings, truckload of cat litter) is going to have to be mucked out once it absorbs the moisture or your problems will remain.
In the past, I have dumped pine shavings in for a few days, then shoveled in out. Then got very large shops fans, 3-4’ size, and turned them on high to get some circulation going to help dry the ground out.

Is there standing water?
Not sure a thick layer of any one thing is the best idea.
Anything piled too thick can cause mold growth and/or anaerobic nastiness.
You need a mix of sizes, shapes, and types of dry plant matter so you don't get matting.

When my run became dirt, after the grass was all gone, then covered with poop....
.... when it rained it stunk to high heaven!
A thin layer of straw helped immediately to reduce the odor.
I added a bit of straw every few days.
Then I was able to get some aged wood chippings from a friend who had a pile dumped by tree trimmers a few months prior. Spread some of those around along with some more straw. Eventually I added a lot more aged wood chippings, and dry grass clippings, dry leaves in fall.

No
Is there standing water?
Not sure a thick layer of any one thing is the best idea.
Anything piled too thick can cause mold growth and/or anaerobic nastiness.
You need a mix of sizes, shapes, and types of dry plant matter so you don't get matting.

When my run became dirt, after the grass was all gone, then covered with poop....
.... when it rained it stunk to high heaven!
A thin layer of straw helped immediately to reduce the odor.
I added a bit of straw every few days.
Then I was able to get some aged wood chippings from a friend who had a pile dumped by tree trimmers a few months prior. Spread some of those around along with some more straw. Eventually I added a lot more aged wood chippings, and dry grass clippings, dry leaves in fall.
Standing water. Ground is just saturated and not drying. We live in a "swampy" area, but it hasn't been this bad.

I am dealing with what you talked about. So wondering if maybe I should add more soil to bring the grade of the runs up?? I have been using different types of materials as I was allowing my chickens to make good compost. However, now that its all muck....change of plans are in order.

We had the same problem,and had read on byc to use pelletized horse bedding its pine pellets sold at tsc $6 for a 50 pd bag ,I raked the run and put the whole bag down it was terrific!!! The raw sewer smell was gone so quick and helps soak up puddles too. I want to give a shout out to whoever posted it thx so much ,we keep a bag on hand

Back
Top Bottom