How to "fix" a swamp??

We had the same problem,and had read on byc to use pelletized horse bedding its pine pellets sold at tsc $6 for a 50 pd bag ,I raked the run and put the whole bag down it was terrific!!! The raw sewer smell was gone so quick and helps soak up puddles too. I want to give a shout out to whoever posted it thx so much ,we keep a bag on hand

I will try that first. Sounds cheap enough. That would help make good compost too, eventually, if it works. :)

with your situation soaking up the water won't work. the ground all around is saturated and whatever you remove will just be replaced .
it won't last forever, then do what someone suggested, add dirt, sand and small rocks to bring the grade up higher..then do the sawdust/shavings and straw on top of that..

Thanks!!!

No Standing water. Ground is just saturated and not drying. We live in a "swampy" area, but it hasn't been this bad.

I am dealing with what you talked about. So wondering if maybe I should add more soil to bring the grade of the runs up?? I have been using different types of materials as I was allowing my chickens to make good compost. However, now that its all muck....change of plans are in order.
The smaller more fragile materials will break down sooner, the bigger chunks of wood will keep on 'working' to reduce odors and soak up excess water during heavy rain events.(see pic below)
Tho if you want the birds to make good 'garden compost', not my goal, larger chunks of wood are not a great ingredient, and litter may take more maintenance.

If the ground is really soggy all the time, then building up a base of fill dirt might work well for you.

upload_2018-9-1_18-45-53.png

Aart has the right idea. Wood chips, with the occasional addition of leaves or grass clippings, etc. There's a real chance you can get truckloads for free from local tree companies of raw woodchips. They will be rough and wildly different sizes, often with leaves and branches mixed in, ranging from sawdust to occasional chunks the size of a textbook, mostly between 2" and 4" though. Lay them down as thick as you want, and when you remove the dirt for garden compost in a year or two just screen it with a chunk of hardware cloth or chicken wire. I use this in my lawn where the water in the chicken pen used to be 6" deep standing water when it rained. Now it's the driest spot in my lawn!
You can also consider adding rain gardens uphill of your chicken pen to reduce the runoff that reaches the pen in the first place. But woodchips are amazing.

you maybe a candidate for deep litter. I run misters in the summer to keep the girls cooled down and I had the same problem mucky stinky and flys galore! I started with chopped straw then after a day or so added pine flake(White bags at TSC) when fall hits here and the leaves start falling they will go in as well. Within about 2 days the smell was almost gone and now it is non existent. If you have a need for compost like for garden or flower beds you will have some good compost.
We had the same problem,and had read on byc to use pelletized horse bedding its pine pellets sold at tsc $6 for a 50 pd bag ,I raked the run and put the whole bag down it was terrific!!! The raw sewer smell was gone so quick and helps soak up puddles too. I want to give a shout out to whoever posted it thx so much ,we keep a bag on hand
This also sounds like a good Idea to start out with, then add some straw and flake or whatever organic materials you have

They will be rough and wildly different sizes, often with leaves and branches mixed in, ranging from sawdust to occasional chunks the size of a textbook, mostly between 2" and 4" though. Lay them down as thick as you want,
I keep stressing the word 'aged' when referring to wood chips/chunks, or try to,
and will repeat it here.
Fresh wood chippings are wet, especially if they've been done in spring/summer and contain lots of green leaves. This can cause copious blooms of molds that can be toxic to your birds, better to let them age a few months or apply them sparingly to your run a bit at a time.

Aart has the right idea. Wood chips, with the occasional addition of leaves or grass clippings, etc. There's a real chance you can get truckloads for free from local tree companies of raw woodchips. They will be rough and wildly different sizes, often with leaves and branches mixed in, ranging from sawdust to occasional chunks the size of a textbook, mostly between 2" and 4" though. Lay them down as thick as you want, and when you remove the dirt for garden compost in a year or two just screen it with a chunk of hardware cloth or chicken wire. I use this in my lawn where the water in the chicken pen used to be 6" deep standing water when it rained. Now it's the driest spot in my lawn!
You can also consider adding rain gardens uphill of your chicken pen to reduce the runoff that reaches the pen in the first place. But woodchips are amazing.

Can't get free wood chips. We live out in the boonies where people don't want to deliver for "free." But, being that we own a landscaping business we get contractor's rates for mulch. Then I can mix in my grass and other greens into it.

I do a heavy mulch gardening system anyways, so very familiar with the idea. Our land is flat, so no "uphill" spot drains into the runs.

Sounds like a plan! So many ideas to go through lol. Doing the pellets for immediate help right now, until we can get in either dirt or mulch, which won't be until after the holiday.

you maybe a candidate for deep litter. I run misters in the summer to keep the girls cooled down and I had the same problem mucky stinky and flys galore! I started with chopped straw then after a day or so added pine flake(White bags at TSC) when fall hits here and the leaves start falling they will go in as well. Within about 2 days the smell was almost gone and now it is non existent. If you have a need for compost like for garden or flower beds you will have some good compost.
This also sounds like a good Idea to start out with, then add some straw and flake or whatever organic materials you have

We had been doing fine until this last month with all the rain. We do add lots of organic matetial to the run on a regular basis.

I do the deep litter method in my coops and clean them out ( right into the run) once a month. Plus they get lawn clippings, garden waste, leaves, straw etc.

jen77, I live way out in the boonies, too.
I get lots of free wood chips delivered by the truck loads.
watch for the guys who trim trees for the power company. if they are close to you, they are always looking for a nearby spot to dump their chips.. just stop and talk to the guys doing the chipping..
all they need is easy access and no overhead obstructions like wires or large branches..

Back
Top Bottom