How to Fix Respitory distress

nerdyMcNerd

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
1
0
3
Hello,
We purchased a chicken off of craigslist to add to our flock. The buff we got was said to be a yearling. As a week went by she was having a rattle sound while breathing. It got worse and she would gasp for air after sitting in the nesting box. We noticed that her right nare (nostril) was always dirty from dirt because it was runny. It got worse and we decided to bring her inside so she could cool down.

What we did to help her after hours of research:

1. Purchased VetRX - Helped a bit at first
2. Purchased Safe guard - Dewormer for gape worms (upon more research abandoned this treatment)
3. Purchased Liquamycin Tractor supply - Performed injection with .5ml under skin of the chicken. So far did this once a day for three days. Will do for five days.
4. Sudafed - took one third of a pill and put in bread for the chicken to help with congestion. Did this every five or so hours for one day.

The first day of treatment we kept her in the house to rest in the A/C. The second day we did much of the same till the evening when it was cooler and noticed she was breathing a bit better. She still slept in the house that night. Today she is out with the others and she is breathing so much better, we will have her sleep inside again and continue with the injections and partial sudafed only twice a day.
 
Last edited:

tribalacres

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
681
3,703
246
Central Florida
Hey! We had this issue because we didn't quarantine our chickens we bought and it infected our whole coop, we had to cull the whole flock. We chose too, others I guess vary in opinions. Did you quarantine her for two weeks to watch for signs. The worst case is that it's MG which birds can be carriers for life, praying it's not that and you see no signs in the rest of your flock.
 

MickWithChicks

Songster
Jul 18, 2017
249
587
192
East Coast of Australia
It could be infectious coryza (IC) which none of those things will do much to help.

IC is a bacterial infection, so you'll have to either wait for her to fight it off, or get her on some antibiotics (which may require a vet visit and prescription depending on your location).

Definitely keep her in isolation from the rest of the flock for now. You don't want it spreading through your flock. If she was with them while infectious, it might be worth treating your whole flock with antibiotics as a precautionary measure.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom