How to Free Range Ducks

I have two white Pekins that I just got and was wondering if they can free range with my 50+ chickens when they are used to their new home. They keep an eye out for predators and the sheep help discourage birds of prey. Any experience with this anyone?

I have two white Pekins that I just got and was wondering if they can free range with my 50+ chickens when they are used to their new home. They keep an eye out for predators and the sheep help discourage birds of prey. Any experience with this anyone?
They could probably free range fine with the chickens as long as the chickens accept them, we have a member here who is dealing with an awful wound some of her chickens did to her duck, so sometimes chickens and ducks don't do well together. My chickens and ducks are in a half acre together during the day and some of my hens even scare my drakes. No attacking though but my ducks do grab a chicken when they get to close. You'll have to introduce slowly and supervise to make sure no one is getting picked on or injured. And I wouldn't advise housing them together.

Here's the link about the Pekin and the chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/943843/pekin-duck-attacked-by-chicken/10#post_14644508

Last edited:
When I bought my first chickens I was told to keep them penned up the first three days with regular food and water so that when I let them free range they knew where to return every night. Sure enough, every night they march back into their house at dusk. I now want to incorporate ducks onto our little farm, can I do the same with the ducks? Do they roost in the same spot every night like chickens?

We just got our ducks in April. They free range during the day and are in a pen, inside our barn at night. I give them feed at night, mainly to help get them back in the barn. With winter coming, I am wondering the best way to go about feeding the ducks. I have read that they can still be out during the day. However, I am concerned about night and having water in their pen, as they have water in their pen now and half of the bedding is wet every morning.

I have 5 muscovy ducks and two khaki campbell. The Khaki's live in a pen separate from the muscovy.

Question:

Can they over-night with no water if they are not offered food? Feed them in the morning and early evening, outside the pen.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Exactly right! Feed them early evening so they fill up before bed, because a full crop will help keep them warm. Then fresh water first thing in the morning! They'll be fine!!

About 2 weeks ago, I began to remove food and water from the night sleeping pen where my ducks are. I am sure they'd love to eat and drink at night since I read they aren't just sleeping like chickens, but overall, they have done just fine. I get up in the morning and let them out and they get their morning drink and food, and then they continue foraging or eating what I put out the rest of the day. I think they're Ok with those few hours of not having food and water around.

I would suggest this is OK for maturing birds but of course, with ducklings, you'll want them to have access to food and water at all times.

I'm going to start this tonight. I cleaned their pen today, so it will be a good time to start. I think I am going to feed them at 4:00 each day. That way they have time to eat, splash around some more and then in the pen around 7 or 8. They are usually at the barn around 7 each night anyway. Thanks for your response.

My husband suggested we get a duck call. For me I just went through this. We would try to herd them then had to catch them and put them in, I wanted to train them. How do you get animals to go anywhere? Food of course! I only feed them at night (make sure they have water), then I will give them a snack during the day... they also free range to their hearts content.
What breeds do you have I'm looking to get a 10 or so and possibly add a couple of geese as well

Back
Top Bottom