How to get a hen to brooder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stickdude515, Mar 12, 2016.

1. stickdude515

stickdude515 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    I have 4 18 month old hens. I just got them 2 days ago. The original owner pulled the eggs everyday. I was looking to let them brooder the first ones. They laid 4 eggs yesterday but the hens won't sit on them. Is there a way I can teach them to brooder or is it easier to get an incubator?

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    A broody hen is broody because she has had a change in hormones causing her to do so. It is a matter of genetics and a small amount of luck not training. Some breeds never go broody as a rule, some are prone to become broody. All you can do is wait and see if you end up with a broody.

3. stickdude515

stickdude515 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    These are barred rock so they are usually good brooder, I believe. Should I collect the eggs until they try to sit on them? I don't want them to rotten.

4. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I think a full nest of eggs helps, they lay a clutch then sit. Otherwise the hatch would be staggered.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    My BRs have never gone broody. Not something they learn. Either they are or they aren't.

Where's the rooster?

6. stickdude515

stickdude515 New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    He is in the coop with them.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gather the eggs every day......if they are going to go broody, they'll sit on nothing.
    If you want to try the 'leave a clutch to trigger broodiness' theory....use heavy solid fake eggs or golf balls.

8. Coreenelane

Coreenelane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    My suggestion is to let her lay a clutch of eggs. Once she gets several in her nest she hopefully will start sitting on them. Does she have her own nest box? We just put a hen in a dog carrier with straw and 5 eggs on Friday. Saturday she laid another egg and pushed out 3 of the other eggs of which 2 were white and the other a large brown egg. She is now staying on the eggs and let out once a day to exercise. She is in a BIG dog carrier and feed and water in with her. I have too many other chickens and they would chase her off of the nest boxes prior to putting her in the carrier. Might have to do the same for a few more hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by