How to get an orange yolk egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hen Daddy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    When we first got our chickens, the gal we got them from gave us a bunch of her eggs to show us coloration and texture and flavor of home grown eggs. Hers had a nice orangey yolk and the white part was more yellow than white. Yummy, the kids loved them.

Now that we have 2 gals laying, we are noticing their "insides" look just like commercial eggs from the store. The kids say they taste better, but I want the coloring too! We feed Nutrena layer feed, supplement with oyster shells, fresh greens from the garden, veggies, fun treats like oatmeal, watermelon, that kinda thing.

Should I be feeding them something else that will change the color of the yolk/white? Does it really matter that much?

Thanks all!
    ~Caran (hijacking Craig's account, cuz I'm too lazy to log out! haha)

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

As long as they're getting a nicely rounded diet (do you let them get out and eat bugs, free range just a bit?) they should have nice yokes. But you can feed them calendula or marigold flowers, the high beta carotene content will help color the yokes, and give them a nice nutritional boost.

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Your first few will be yellow, as they start laying more they should orange up, especially if you let them range some every day.

1 person likes this.
  4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Free ranging does it for mine,but I still notice that the darker the egg shell,the darker the yolk. My Marans are really dark, and my white leghorns are just a little darker than store white eggs.

5. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    What about those of us who can't/won't let the girls free range due to airborne predators? In fact as I type there is a huge buzzard and family living in one of the trees just above the coop and run. We also have a family of Red Tail Hawks in a near by tree. [​IMG]

6. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mine have very yellow yokes as long as they are getting some cracked corn with their egg laying feed.
    Chris

7. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    you're right. I switched to just cracked corn for awhile last year and the yolks were very dark orange. Now that I have switched back to layer feed, the yolks look like store eggs.

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I give a little cracked corn in the evening, this seems to help make them orangier

9. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I feed them a mixture of cracked corn and layer feed. It works great like that.
    Chris

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Alfalfa works too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by