How to get ball off of hitch?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by first time farmer, Oct 15, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am trying to get the ball off of the reciver. It seems to be stuck. Does anyone know a way i can get it off. I have tried a wrench.

thanks

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    If you are talking about loosening the nut off the ball then you will need 2 large wrenches. I had to use a 22" on the ball and a 3' pipe wrench on the nut last time I took off a ball. Heat can help too.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my DH said to heat it and then it gets hot smack it with a hammer. thats what he does.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hubby suggested putting a pipe on the wrench for more leverage to loosen the nut on the ball..
    if thats the problem..

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I agree with PC - two wrenches does it for us.

6. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Pipe wrench on the ball, large wrench on the nut. Might have to add heat and cheater pipes to wrenches. Might end up flame wrenching it off. Next ball put heavy grease or anti seize on the threads, tighten well!

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Load up the trailer full of Faberge eggs, horses, doughnuts, whatever, get 'er on a highway, then go uphill. If there is nobody behind you, the hitch will keep. If there is a line of traffic behind you, she's gonna let go.

8. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Soak in WD-40... give it an hour, put a pipe wrench on the top and cressent wrench on nut to break loose. WD-40 will desolve rust and lubricate the threads. If that fails, heating torch is the next step. [​IMG] Hope it works out!

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I called my grandpa too and he told me to use WD-40 and two wrenches and if that didnt to get the tourch out lol Seems like great minds think alike. Its soaking in WD-40 now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by