How to get bigger meat birds.

johnscalido

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Hi there to everyone. I would just like to thank everyone that answered my previous question. Can you feed Broilers with Broiler meat. I must say it was informative. I have really learnt a lot. However I have decided to rear my own broilers either Ross 308 or Cobb Vantress.

I was browsing through some websites and it was interesting to find that about 30% or "MORE"! is lost when you cull birds. Therefore I would like to know how does one get bigger birds. I am almost 100% it has got to do with the genetics but there is nothing we can do about that, now can we. We simply lease or purchase parent stock or grandparent stock.

Therefore I am seriously looking at feed. Someone mentioned something about fishmeal. I am looking to raise a bird up to 7 pounds. When I slaughter I want to be left with 4.5 Pounds. Is this possible.

Start with turkey starter; it has higher protein and about three times the vitamins/minerals of regular chick starter. Broilers need the extra protein and vita/mins due to their growing so fast. After 3-1/2 to 4 weeks switch to 20% starter/grower until finished. If your one of the lucky ones and can buy from a feed mill, by all means just buy a broiler mix and feed exclusively that for the duration. If using a medicated starter only use it for 10 days to 2 weeks.

You should achieve your required weight goal in week 6 or 7.

You probably have been reading the different feeding styles on this forum. Just choose one that will fit your daily schedule and keep us informed how your first experience with meaties goes (with lots of pics, please).

Good Luck!

thanks buddy but I will I reach a target weight of 3kg / 7 pounds. And will after slaughter will I reach 2kg / 4.5 pounds.

I think you will have to cut and paste the URL into your browser because clicking on it simply does not work. I have tried it with a few URL's on BYC and simply does not work.

My roosters have been hitting 6.5lb dress weight after 8 weeks with 24 hours food using 19-20% flockraiser. I don't think you'll have any issue hitting your target weight with CX birds and good care. Not sure about the two birds you mention.

Have you raised any broilers at all before? It sounds like you're talking about jumping right into large scale broiler raising, is that correct? Or are you looking to raise a few for your own use? If you are talking about just for personal consumption, I don't think you'll be able to get parent stock from the broiler lines. If you are wanting to raise them commercially, you might want to try just a few (by a few I mean 25-50) at first, to try it out and become more familiar with raising them.

Quote:
It will? How much bigger? I processed some cornish cross that dressed out at 16 pounds. That was big enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom