how to get chcickens to go in separate coops?

commosmart1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Sumrall, MS
I have two separate coops / flocks . How do I get them to go back to their designated coop at night? Should I just let one flock out one day and the other the next day?

Last edited:
Chickens usually will want to return to the place they're accustomed to roost, with the other chickens they're used to being with. Many seem to have their favorite place to go on the roost, alongside other particular birds. If the birds in your 2 coops are accustomed to roosting there, they *should* put themselves back in the same coop. You may want to give them "practice" by letting out just one group on alternate days for a week or so before letting out both groups at once.

I have birds in several different coops and they all go back to their own homes each night.

And
welcome-byc.gif
Next time give folks time to respond to your questions, you shouldn't give them a "bump", especially after just 20 minutes. Use the search feature instead to see if your question has already been addressed before.

I have four coops and everyone has their own home and thats where they go. Now if some where in one and you are trying to get them into the other you will have to lock them in until they call it their home. I did that with some BLRW's their rooster went to a new home and I needed the small coop for my marans, so I moved them to the laying house, and locked them in the run and made sure the were in the coop at night.

Why are you wanting them to go in to designated coops? I have 11 different coops that mine have to choose to go in to at night. Some go in to the same coop every night while others switch up weekly or monthly or nightly. As long as they go in any 1 of the coops, it works for me.

Quote:
Haha. Does it depend who's throwing the party? That makes me think of Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot:
"Party in number seven, pass it on!" ... "Party in number seven, pass it on!"
"Girls, keep the noise down, you'll wake up the neighbours."

One of my neighbours' chickens moved into my coop for a few weeks last summer. I don't know why. After a while, it moved back home again...

Quote:
Haha. Does it depend who's throwing the party? That makes me think of Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot:
"Party in number seven, pass it on!" ... "Party in number seven, pass it on!"
"Girls, keep the noise down, you'll wake up the neighbours."

One of my neighbours' chickens moved into my coop for a few weeks last summer. I don't know why. After a while, it moved back home again...

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

LOL @ party in number seven, pass it on!!!
lau.gif

LOL @ your neighbor's chickens moving into your coops for a few weeks and then it moved back home.
lau.gif

That is tooooo funny!!!!

Thanks for a good laugh today. I needed that.

Quote:
Well, if the reason you're wanting to keep the breeds separate is to insure the eggs will be pure, then certainly you must keep them separate at all times. But if you aren't planning to incubate the eggs to hatch purebred chicks, or don't mind having mixed-breed chicks (they ARE just as nice as purebreds, you just can't show them) then all your birds can free-range together.

Back
Top Bottom