How to get chickens to be nice to eachother?

SilkieChickii

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2021
My chickens bully my pullet (SOMETIMES) and i want to know how to have them get along and not fight. They have been doing better but, it is still a bit of a problem. franswa.jpg This is the pullet I am talking about. She is a Faverolle.

Pullets have one strike against them just being younger, newer, and smaller. But if this is the only pullet, she also has being the only one of her age in the flock as a stumbling block.

Pullets grow up being defensive around the adult flock, being newer and smaller, they naturally fear the adults. When they haven't got the support network of similar aged chickens, they can be relegated to chronic victim status, and sometimes this role sticks and becomes habit. This, in turn, fosters bullying behavior in the older chickens.

So this is why I wrote this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/ It tells how you can overcome this.

I would remove the bullies and keep her in the pen then slowly readd the others as they should be knocked down on the pecking order

There will always be a 'low bird'.
Key to keep it from becoming a bloody disaster is to have enough space for the low bird to stay outside a respectful distance(4-6') from their superiors when needed.

More info about your flock would help us help you.
Numbers and ages(in weeks or months).
Size of coop and run, in feet by feet with pics.

Back
Top Bottom