How to get chickens to use a nipple drinker?

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
I have a heated waterer with nipples that I had in the coop last year and for a few months this year, but I don’t think any of them are using it. I tried pecking the nipple part and they were all watching, and I’ve held one and tried to teach her how, but they just drink the water that dribbles out, not peck the actual nipple. Any suggestions for getting them to use it?

I’m trying, but it’s been there for almost a month though…
How old are your chickens?
I haven’t had to train to use the water nipples during the cold so always had a dish of water available outside of run. The youngest birds stayed in the run by choice (to avoid the big girls) and figured it out but it took them about 6-8 weeks before I stopped priming the nipples for them. I kept them hydrated by offering a wet mash.

I can’t tell from your profile if you’re in Germany or on Neptune.. either way it is cold (colder) this time of year making freezing water or frozen mash a concern.

Can you bait the nipples with wet feed or treat?

When you're training them to use it it should be the sole source of water - otherwise they'll default to anything easier.

Depending on how many birds you have, might want to aim to pick up every single one and use their beaks to toggle the nipple. I do it a few times and let them drink the droplets so they understand that toggle = water.

How old are your chickens?
I haven’t had to train to use the water nipples during the cold so always had a dish of water available outside of run. The youngest birds stayed in the run by choice (to avoid the big girls) and figured it out but it took them about 6-8 weeks before I stopped priming the nipples for them. I kept them hydrated by offering a wet mash.

I can’t tell from your profile if you’re in Germany or on Neptune.. either way it is cold (colder) this time of year making freezing water or frozen mash a concern.

Can you bait the nipples with wet feed or treat?
Most of them are a little over a year old, 3 were hatched this spring. Where I am any water or wet stuff would freeze pretty quick. I can try putting treats, thanks.

My very successful way to get them to use nipples is to first remove all other sources of water. Then put in the new nipple waterer. Last, walk away. Have never had them take longer than an hour or so to pick it up. Chickens are attracted to the color red and shiny metal. However, they also fear anything new. So they peck the nipples and run away. When nothing happens they peck again and run. As they begin to get a little thirsty they realize that water comes out of the nipples. By this time they realize the nipples are not something to be scared of. Once one figures out how to get a drink, they all figure it out. Have used this method with many groups of chickens. Even worked for neighbors' chickens when I gifted them nipple waterers.

Back
Top Bottom