How to get fertile eggs?

It could take up to a couple to three days before it shows fertile, if the mating was correct. And if she has no more access to the rooster, she could lay fertile eggs for up to two or three weeks.

Last edited:
I don't think I will ever have a fertile egg. My roo mates with my girls but when I walk up to them they have "roo love juice" on their backs.
gig.gif

He's an experienced roo too. He's over a year old and I got him from a man that had a hen sitting on the his fertile eggs. I think it's because the girls are still a bit small.
idunno.gif

Don't feel bad. My Hawkeye was ten months old when I bought him, eleven when he went in with the girls and I didn't have one fertile egg for FIVE MONTHS! And some of the girls still have never had one and he does mate most of them on a regular basis. Weird.

Sorry, chickenwhisperer, I think I was posting as you were posting. If your hen is laying, as silkie said, the eggs could be fertile, but they may be a bit small. It's better if they are close to normal size before you hatch them so the chicks are big like they should be.

speckled,
How long better the eggs as "normal" sized? 2 of mine just started laying but I was just wondering. Would it take a month or so before I get normal sized eggs?

Back
Top Bottom