How to get hen to use nesting box

CyberCountry

Chirping
Aug 4, 2018
Ususally chickens play 'follow the leader' when it comes to using nest boxes or new feeders. Leave some wooden eggs or golf balls in the nests to encourage them to lay there too.

You may just have one that's a little stubborn, though. Sometimes they just do what they want.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have 10 hens. The first one to lay an egg this morning, Layed it on the straw in front of their water bucket. I don’t know which chicken Layed the egg. How do I get them to use the nesting box?
Young birds that just started laying?
Fake eggs or golf balls in the nests will help, but it may take time for them to 'get it' especially if you have no older birds laying.
Make sure nests are easily accessed.

ASD Dad

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate, SC
I still cant get my 3 to lay in their boxes. They all made nests outdoors and only lay in those nests! It is every day. I know exactly where to go get them but they refuse to use their boxes. I tried golf balls and real eggs. Doesnt matter, they totally ignore them.

Ideas?

These are all new layers.

Chick-N-Fun

Almy Acres Farm
Premium member
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Corning, NY
I still cant get my 3 to lay in their boxes. They all made nests outdoors and only lay in those nests! It is every day. I know exactly where to go get them but they refuse to use their boxes. I tried golf balls and real eggs. Doesnt matter, they totally ignore them.

Ideas?

These are all new layers.
Try keeping them in the coop and/ or run for a couple of days, instead of free ranging. They will learn in time!!!! Good luck!!!!

Top Bottom