How to get her back to normal?

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
One of my hens recently recovered from Sour Crop, but she is really thin and still isn't eating normal. How can I get her back to normal weight and get her to start eating grain again?

Why would you focus on getting her to eat grain?
Are you feeding all your birds a complete chicken feed formulated for their age as their primary (90%+) ration?
How old are your birds.
I want her to eat again because she's better and you need food to survive in most cases.

Yes, we give them perfectly healthy food. They are about 1.5 years old.
Just note that she's still not eating that much after Sour Crop.

Yes, one needs food to survive but grain will only be 7-10% protein as opposed to most feeds that range from 15-22%. If you want her to gain muscle, she will need amino acids. If you want her to gain fat, feed grain.

"Perfectly healthy food" doesn't tell me the protein % nor if you are supplementing the feed with treats.
Dates and mushrooms are perfectly healthy but are devoid of protein and aren't a complete ration. As healthy as they are, I couldn't live long on them alone.
I'm only trying to help but with scant information, I'm stymied in my efforts.

Last edited:
Yes, one needs food to survive but grain will only be 10% or less protein as opposed to most feeds that range from 15-22%. If you want her to gain muscle, she will need amino acids. If you want her to gain fat, feed grain.

"Perfectly healthy food" doesn't tell me the protein % nor if you are supplementing the feed with treats.
Dates and mushrooms are perfectly healthy but are devoid of protein and aren't a complete ration. As healthy as they are, I couldn't live long on them alone.
I feed her and the other chickens treats every day. Probably more than I should.

WHAT treats? Treats can range from corn to grapes to canned mackerel. Three things that are completely different in nutrient content.
What percentage of total intake are the treats?
I ask again, what is the protein percentage of their chicken feed and how much of the total intake does it make up?

I understand the word treats, but that tells me nothing about the total nutrient intake.
That is essential information to help you 'get her back to normal'.
If treats are primarily greens or grains or fruit or meat, those all have dramatically different nutrient profiles

Another thing to consider with a really thin bird is parasitic activity.
Having a fecal sample read will steer you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom