How to get my Barred Rocks from roosting in the tree...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by armedtodream, Oct 8, 2011.

1. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Hi all, I have Barred Rocks that free range our back yard. Their coop & pen (if we ever needed to lock them up) are located right under the outer edge of a big apple tree. When they were first outside, they roosted in the coop. Then one decided to roost in the tree one night & of course it's too high even if I had a ladder, to get it down. Well of course the next night they were all roosting in the tree. It was not a big deal to me because it was warm summer weather. Now we are heading into winter, last night was a low of 38, I am worried about them roosting outside. My question is, how can I keep them from roosting in the tree? Would they figure it out when it's colder & snowing or do I need to DO something? Thanks so much! We have an awesome group of 15 (11 BR & 4 assorted (the latter 4 roost in a coop :-D). It is a funny sight to see them all high up in the tree but I don't want them to freeze to death here in North Idaho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by