How to get my hen broody ASAP

chickenman786

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Hi my hens are 5 months old and i am keeping them for 3 more weeks. I would like them to lay at least one egg before i pass them on to a new owner. I live in the UK .

Could you please recommend methods to quicken the process so they start laying sooner. Are there any particular things i should i feed them ? heres a pic of the hen.

"Broody" refers to being in the mode where they become obsessed with sitting on eggs till they hatch. It's not when they lay eggs. As to laying eggs, I don't know how to get them to start doing that. Not sure there is a way. They just reach a level of maturity and start doing it.

From the combs, those birds are no where near laying. They're living creatures, not machines. It just happens with their own biology.

Don't lose hope yet! Some hens lay earlier some later, we just can't tell.. only time. The only useful 'advice' I can give you is to just wait till it happens and good luck!

Thanks you , i guess im going to have to wait for a while before i have a nice cooked egg on my plate

Short of feeding them out of a Kentucky fried chicken box, play some Frank Sinatra songs and posting photos of handsome Roosters, I am not sure you can speed the process. Egg laying is ovulation. It happens when the chicken is mature enough to happen. Depends on Breed too. Some lay eggs earlier and some are older. I had chickens that did not lay the first eggs until 34 weeks of age. In fact, I got my GLW in May and I got my Barred Rock and SLW in July. In November I got the first eggs from the Barred Rocks and then the SLW before I got an egg from the GLW. However, the chickens lay eggs very well for about two years and then slow a little so you can say that the later they start the longer they may lay eggs. You know when they are about to lay when their combs turn very bright red.

I feel the pain of waiting for those first eggs. They will come in due time.

I wish I had the answer you seek. Oh Harry Conick Jr. as a crooner isn't so bad either!!!

Caroline

Hi my hens are 5 months old and i am keeping them for 3 more weeks. I would like them to lay at least one egg before i pass them on to a new owner. I live in the UK .
Could you please recommend methods to quicken the process so they start laying sooner....

From the combs, those birds are no where near laying. They're living creatures, not machines...
I agree with donrae, but you could help your hens biology by subjecting it or them to at least 14 hours of continuous Sun and artificial light every day. The idea is to fool their pineal gland into thinking that it's spring time, the time for little bunny rabbets, cute baby chicks, and colored Easter eggs. Then maybe your birds will favor you with a going away present of a few eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom