How to get my hens to use new nipple waterer?

Personally I don't know what else to tell you. I don't have your problem at all, my birds have always used the nipples and cups, what ever was offered they used. You may want to put at least three nipples in your bucket just to give them an option. Most all the ones you see people use and the premade ones some folks sell all have 3 or 4 nipples in the bottom of the buckets. I have used two before in a 2 gallon container for some baby chicks and they had no problems with it at all.

Like I've said before these nipples work for most people with no problems what so ever, I don't understand why they won't work for you. Maybe you should take it all apart and reevaluate how you have it set up and look at more setups that other people have and start all over.

If they were drinking, they wouldn't run to the plants to drink droplets as soon as I let them out! I'm sure they're not drinking. I'll give them their old waterer back and try a new set up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would put in a couple extra nipples in your existing bucket... They will drink from it and probably are. Mine will still go to drink from the fish pond, water coming off the A/C unit, mud puddle etc.... But there are days that what comes out of the nipples are all they get, for the last 1.5 years. None have dropped dead yet, Knock on Wood.

Last edited:
If they were drinking, they wouldn't run to the plants to drink droplets as soon as I let them out! I'm sure they're not drinking. I'll give them their old waterer back and try a new set up.

Thanks.
My chickens will eat from their feeder until they are full, but if I reach in and grab a handful of feed to throw on the ground , they pounce like they haven't eaten in a week.
But you're convinced, so nothing matters now

I realize this is an old thread but I just bought a used coop and the seven hens came along with which I didn't expect, the chickens are used to drinking from a bell waterer but I want to change that to a nipple style. I read the replies here and I will attempt to keep one of the nipples dripping, that seems a good idea. I've had the chickens about 11 days now so they won't allow me to hold them yet to show them the waterer.

So far I've learned quite a lot from this forum, I appreciate the advice.

I trained my chickens on the nipples in a few minutes!
They ran out of water and were very thirsty.
I hung the nipple feeder and filled it to the top with a hose and then turned down the hose to a very tiny drip. It started to overflow, dripping very slowly. In their thirst, they ran to the drips, I turned off the hose, and they found the nipples immediately, having gotten use to a slow dripping bucket.
celebrate.gif
Celebrating success.

Back
Top Bottom