Solved How to get new articles to show in New Articles section of the articles tab?

Shadrach

Roosterist
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2018
Bristol UK
My Coop
My Coop
I've asked this question before via pm to a mod but haven't had a reply.
When I've published an article while it appears in the article section without problems but not in the list in the new articles tab.

As an example this article was published on Sunday 05/06 and it didn't appear in the New Articles tab. Why not.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

What exactly is it one has to do to make sure an article shows in this list?

After viewing a new article, it disappears from the list of new articles. I have gone through all of them and this is what I see:
1686240806780.png

If you open https://www.backyardchickens.com/whats-new/ams-articles/ in an incognito tab, the resulting page will appear differently.
1686240902081.png

I didn't realise the articles left the list once viewed.
Its not just articles, its ALL content types that use a Read Marking System (Threads, Reviews, Items, Article, Blog Entries etc). Once the viewing user has read something, its not going to be considered "NEW" | "UNREAD" for the viewing user, so it won't display in the "New posts", "New articles", "New Resources", "New Reviews" etc etc etc... if the Show only: Unread filter is enabled (which it is by default).

You can unclick the "show only: Unread" filter on the Find New results, which will then display both Read and Unread content :)

You can also click on the Filters and set the default for that specific Find New Handler (example below shows the defaults for the "New articles" find new handler). So you can uncheck the "Unread articles" and hit save, then when you click on the "New articles", its going to act more like a "Recent articles" which includes both Read and Unread articles.

Selection_264.png

Also, for those that don't know, unread Content will display the Title in BOLD where as read content will display the Title in normal font weight as a quick visual representation of whether you've read something or not.

Keep in mind, the Forum Software this site uses sets a Read Marking Lifetime (90 days be default), so after 90 days, content is considered "Read" regardless if you've read it or not and the titles will be in normal font weight,

Hope that helps understand it a bit better :)

Back
Top Bottom