How To Get Rid Of A Rooster?

That's not harsh, its irresponsible.

When a person decides to own an animal he/she becomes responsible for that life. Its the inevitable fate of most roosters to be culled but it should be done with care and respect not as abandonment to terror in the night.

Not to mention releasing a domesticated animal can have a huge impact on the ecosystem. Domesticated animals can carry diseases that their wild counterparts have no resistance to. And it's also pretty cold

I'm trying to re-home a rooster as well. I have no coop, and he's decided my neighbors barn is where he's going to hang out when he's not home eating. He's a beautiful leghorn, and he's not nasty. He roosts in the rafters of the neighbors barn and they aren't appreciating his droppings. I didn't go out and say "I want a rooster". I got him from the neighbors on the next street. He was dumped in our neighborhood, and the people over there were shooting at him with bb guns.

gg706
I know I am coming into this incredibly late and its probably not even relevant anymore but NO! Thats cruel, do not just leave your rooster outside. Yes that is harsh!! Its abusive and If you have the idea to do this you are obviously not caring for your animals properly.

Last edited:
Look at the big picture. Like dogs, chickens are unnatural animals.
Nothing that you can do to that bird is less humane than what happens to 99 percent of the farm raised chickens that we eat.
The most humane thing that you can do is to eat him. If not, you'll be paying someone (a hard earned nickle) to torment one more chicken.

I've got a rooster that is going to kill my hens. If I could ask my hens: "Is that rooster humane?", what do you think that they would say? It is time for him to go.
As much as he frustrates me, I don't want him to suffer any more than is necessary.

Let's not anthropomorphize. :)
I love my pets, including the chickens but... He's got a brain the size of a bee-bee. Just kill him quick and deprive the chicken industry one more victim.

I was hoping to learn from this thread a good way to "cull" my flock.

Back
Top Bottom