How to get rid of mice?

mrl8810

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
I have noticed at my chicken coop there are a few holes around and I know that its mice holes because I saw a mouse run into one...I tried to set traps out and they didn't get anything..I'm kind of afraid to put poison out because if it gets into the coop and the chickens eat it(I've seen my chickens pull mice apart literally)..or if the mouse dies in the coop I'm afraid that it may hurt the chickens/do something to the eggs they lay possibly? I'm just not sure what to do beyond that point..I have hardware cloth..they are burrowing under somehow..any ideas would be helpful? Thanks

A few solutions I can think of are these:

- Maybe put some thick boards or some mesh wire underneath the coop, but make sure no sharp pieces of the wire are exposed to where your chickens could cut themselves.

-Get a mouse proof/rat proof feeder that requires weight to be placed on it to open to a food compartment.

-Or hang a feeder or elevate it so at least the mice can't access it as easily.

-Ration out their food. Figure how much they eat and need in a day and give food out when they are going to eat it all.

-Avoid leaving veggie, fruit, grain, or meat scraps out for long periods of time, especially when you are away.

-Collect eggs promptly, of course.

-Consider using chicken safe herbs to deter the mice from the coop like rosemary, sage, basil, or mint.

-Sometimes flooding their burrows with water and then killing them works for some people, but that's not fun.

I hope something works soon! You are doing the right thing to stay away from mouse poison, it is safer for your chickens that way.

I have noticed at my chicken coop there are a few holes around and I know that its mice holes because I saw a mouse run into one...I tried to set traps out and they didn't get anything..I'm kind of afraid to put poison out because if it gets into the coop and the chickens eat it(I've seen my chickens pull mice apart literally)..or if the mouse dies in the coop I'm afraid that it may hurt the chickens/do something to the eggs they lay possibly? I'm just not sure what to do beyond that point..I have hardware cloth..they are burrowing under somehow..any ideas would be helpful? Thanks
Please post pics of coop, run, and holes(with a quarter next to it for scale)....
.....and maybe how you set up the traps.
Dead(not poisoned) mouse in coop won't hurt chickens...it'll just stink a bit.

Keeping feed inaccessible is good.
Where do you store your feed and what kind of feeder do you use?

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

...also...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-2_9-25-1.png

I had a severe rat infestation in one of my coops. I tried several things. This worked good for me and other critters can't get to the bait. Only found a couple of dead rats. Most go down into their tunnels and die. Works for mice too. There is a little window over the bait in the bait box so you can regularly check the bait.
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg

Get a couple cats. I have 2 feral cats that have lived with my chickens for years. I can’t touch them but the chickens can. I never see evidence of rodents. All food is secured overnight in the predator-proof coops or stored in metal trash cans. Only spilled feed is available overnight and the cats take care of that.

Yea! Someone mentioned the treadle feeder. And it is that simple, a spring loaded door, with a counterweight, and a narrow and distant treadle treadle feeder. Remove the free food and the vermin will leave. Nothing else works, nothing else is permanent, nothing else is as cheap in the long run. Nothing else is as safe.

Back
Top Bottom