How to get rid of mites?!?!?!

Mites reproduce quickly.
You can't skimp when trying to get rid of them.
I highly recommend getting a permethrin product and treating everyone at the same time.
Okay yes we figured that out I would spray them and accidentally forget to do it one day and they would have twice as much mites then they did the day before those little turds LOL

Well today I broke down and bought some permethrin spray and dust. We dusted all the birds, we sprinkled it on their vents and under their wings and rubbed it in all the feathers.i also sprayed the coops and run. I will repeat in 7 days and hopefully this mites will be gone. @Kiki @casportpony
Good job!

Make sure you spray EVERYONE and EVERYTHING again this weekend.

You must retreat at least three times to break the life cycle otherwise you've got to start over.

At night, while they are roosting, and you with a small flashlight or headlamp, it's much easier to spray this birds!
And you need to wear long sleeves. pants, and at least a N95 face mask, so you aren't inhaling anything out there.
Mary

At night, while they are roosting, and you with a small flashlight or headlamp, it's much easier to spray this birds!
And you need to wear long sleeves. pants, and at least a N95 face mask, so you aren't inhaling anything out there.
Mary
Thanks😊, if I spray do I need to spray in the feathers or just on top? I used dust this time.

Good job!

Make sure you spray EVERYONE and EVERYTHING again this weekend.

You must retreat at least three times to break the life cycle otherwise you've got to start over.
How often do I treat right now? I thought it was the first treatment then 1 week after that, then 2 weeks after that. Please correct me I want these mites gone

It's best to treat at skin level, at least in a few locations. We've done it both ways, spraying up at the roosting birds from underneath, and then top lines. See how effective your first treatment is, by looking at them at night with that flashlight in a few days.
Here the mites come in on the sparrows who invade the coop during the day.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom