how to get rid of Mosquitos???

Vanilla scented car fresheners. Mosquitos hate the smell of vanilla. I think someone posted saying it works on flys too. You can also buy mosquito repelling pellets at feed stores.

I think I would far rather smell like vanilla than Listerine.
lol.png

Last night i went to close up the coop (later then normal because of the heat, looking for that last breeze) and when I walked in, it sounded like a bees nest. I had to turn on the lights to make sure it wasn't!! It was mosquitoes. Like a million of them, the walls were black! I was covered, I couldn't look at the chickens for the mosquitoes in my face! Oddly tho, my chickens didn't seem so hungry this morning...
lol.png

I know they were eating them, I just hope they were eating more then they were getting bit themselves, poor things.

I grabbed some vanilla scented car thingies however I have a feeling they're not gonna be much defense against these monsters. I sprinkled DE all over too, never know. I'm seriously debating running into town to buy a bug zapper and maybe an extra fan.

I'm not sure if it is possible to be eaten alive but I'll prolly find out. I've got some 2 week olds in the coop (eating their fair share as well I might add) and I hope they can handle it.

I've heard that Bounce or Cling-Free fabric softener sheets work as a repellant. I've not tried it myself, yet, but I think I will. I might try the listerine, too, out of curiosity. In the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. . . the father with the Windex who sprays everything because Windex fixes everything?? In my family it's Listerine. Listerine sterilizes, cleans, soothes, etc. I guess it's fitting to hear that it repels mosquitoes, too.

I am looking for some plants to put around my house to keep mosquitoes away. I know about citronella and lemon grass. Are there any others that I can plant around that will help control them?

Back
Top Bottom