How to get rid of mud in the out door run

When I had an enclosed run sand was the choice for me. Drains really well, especially if the sun hits it. It did not stink, was super easy to manage, and I could clean it with a cat litter scoop. I would completely replaced the sand every year or so. Mostly because the girls wasted food like crazy and if/when it got wet, it soaked in the moisture, molded, and smelled. Investigate the sand ingredients to ensure there are no chemicals/inhalants in it, and get paver sand not kid's sandbox sand.

One of the best things I read and implemented for my backyard enclosed run.

Peat moss! Interesting! Is it meant to be bedding? I might add this to my mix!

Only issue with peat moss is once it absorbs liquid, it seems to take forever and a day to dry out. I give it to my chickens for their dust bath but once it's pretty well used up I dump it in my garden, rather than leave it in the run.

Hi, who knows how I can get rid of the mud in my chicken run?!

We have a 30x20 outdoor area. It has some plastic sheeting over the top on part of it for a temporary fix till spring when we can build a proper roof but it still won’t be completely covered. It’s too big! Lol

But for now, with this Washington rain/snow, then raining, raining, raining some more I am having a hard time getting rid of the mud in the run. What can I put down to help?

Straw seems like that’s a breeding ground for nasty stuff and unhealthy.

Woodchips? All I can get is cedar...
Gravel?
Sand?

Other ideas??
For my chickens I put some shaving down in my chicken run, it seems to help. I put some new on every couple days! My chickens love it!

@KahKaDoodleDo22 , I live in Western Washington.
I use sand in the covered part of the run. (I don’t think it would work in an open, soggy area, at least here).
In the larger open run I use wood chips (mainly Douglas Fir) from a tree company. They work very well, with whatever organic matter (like leaves) that I can add.
You should get some delivered so they can age. Then use some of the other ideas mentioned here

@KahKaDoodleDo22 , I live in Western Washington.
I use sand in the covered part of the run. (I don’t think it would work in an open, soggy area, at least here).
In the larger open run I use wood chips (mainly Douglas Fir) from a tree company. They work very well, with whatever organic matter (like leaves) that I can add.
You should get some delivered so they can age. Then use some of the other ideas mentioned here
Thanks!! Super helpful! I think wood chops is the way to go. I am on a list for the dump of tree clippings but noting so far. I will just have to buy some I guess

When I had an enclosed run sand was the choice for me. Drains really well, especially if the sun hits it. It did not stink, was super easy to manage, and I could clean it with a cat litter scoop. I would completely replaced the sand every year or so. Mostly because the girls wasted food like crazy and if/when it got wet, it soaked in the moisture, molded, and smelled. Investigate the sand ingredients to ensure there are no chemicals/inhalants in it, and get paver sand not kid's sandbox sand.

One of the best things I read and implemented for my backyard enclosed run.
Exactly!!
What do you do with all the nasty sand?
How big is your run?

Back
Top Bottom