How to get rid of pasty butt ?!

connor97

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Huntington Beach, California
One of my little chicks has pasty butt and I can't even get it off ! D:
Today it was really bad and I accidently pulled some of her little feathers out. How do you guys take care of this? I have some probiotics for humans, could I put a little in their water to help or would probiotics hurt them ?

Probiotics are good for chickens. There are some formulated for fowl or you could just feed plain yogurt.
Don't worry about the feathers, just get it off.
I use a soft cloth with vinegar on it and dab until softened or dip the butt or just pull it off but get it off.
It should clear up after a couple days.

Soak her backside in running warm water, but make sure it's not too hot. It'll soften the poo so you can get if off. I've started adding a little apple cider vinegar in their drink water. It really helps with pasty butt, I haven't had any problem since I've started using the ACV. See if you can get the unfiltered one with the "mother" in it. Next time after you cleaned your chick's bum, put a little vaseline or olive oil on the area. It'll help prevent the poo sticking again.

Make sure their water is warm when you put it in the brooder and put a small amount of apple cider vinegar ( with the mother ) in the waterer. I use a paper towel with warm water to remove pasty
butt - be very gentle but if a tiny bit of feather fuzz comes off with the pasty butt that's preferable
to leaving it on as they usually die if not removed.

Back
Top Bottom