How to get rid of rats???

I got this place really cheaply because it had been a hoarder house, and the owners didn't want to deal with it. Rats were established here before I arrived. I want to say watch your cars. Try to park them away from where you know the rats hang out. They chew wiring and can cause all sorts of problems, including chewing up carpets and upholstery to use the fabric to make nests.

They are vile creatures.

Make sure to read about the extra smart rats that can figure out the top brands of treadle feeders. I don't have personal experience. I've just been reading the reviews. Google "Rat Proof Chicken Feeder" or check out the posts in BackyardChickens. The company is hard to find online as it's a one-man-show company in Oklahoma.

There are rats that keep running in and out of my chickens coop and I’m worried that they are going to end up hurting my chickens and they just scare me as well. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Everytime I cover the holes they keep making new ones and I’ve tried putting rat poison in them (I kept it away from the chickens and they didn’t eat it) but it still didn’t work. Is there a chicken safe spray or something i can use to stop the rats from coming in or does anyone else know what I can do to stop them?
I’m having success with the Ratinator from tractor supply! It’s a live trap. If you end up giving it a try I definitely recommend leaving it open for about a week so the rats get used to it and can go in and out. I also recommend cutting off food supply for the rats - so make sure your food is properly stored and cut off access to chicken food as best as you can by bringing food in at night, etc. I baited with duck food, dog food, and rabbit food and that seemed to do the trick. I caught 7 in one night! It comes with a drowning tank but you can do whatever you want with them once you catch them. I went ahead and used the drowning tank, which I thought was going to be a nightmare but they pass away really quickly and it’s a simple process. Much quicker (and safer) than dying from poison. A benefit from this is you can use it over and over again and rats are definitely an ongoing problem when you have outdoor animals.

I’m having success with the Ratinator from tractor supply! It’s a live trap. If you end up giving it a try I definitely recommend leaving it open for about a week so the rats get used to it and can go in and out. I also recommend cutting off food supply for the rats - so make sure your food is properly stored and cut off access to chicken food as best as you can by bringing food in at night, etc. I baited with duck food, dog food, and rabbit food and that seemed to do the trick. I caught 7 in one night! It comes with a drowning tank but you can do whatever you want with them once you catch them. I went ahead and used the drowning tank, which I thought was going to be a nightmare but they pass away really quickly and it’s a simple process. Much quicker (and safer) than dying from poison. A benefit from this is you can use it over and over again and rats are definitely an ongoing problem when you have outdoor animals.
@Twhi7 Thank you, the last time I tried to just remove all eatables to rid my coop of rats, one of my hens got a bite to her ear lobe during the night. she screeched (thank God) and I got up in the middle of the night to find 2 rats in the coop. So I know there are many more around. I have heard great things about the Ratinator from a few people here on BYC, so after reading this I will be ordering one tonight. :highfive:

@Twhi7 Thank you, the last time I tried to just remove all eatables to rid my coop of rats, one of my hens got a bite to her ear lobe during the night. she screeched (thank God) and I got up in the middle of the night to find 2 rats in the coop. So I know there are many more around. I have heard great things about the Ratinator from a few people here on BYC, so after reading this I will be ordering one tonight. :highfive:
Oh no, poor thing! Rats are just awful. I wish you great success in getting rid of them! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

There are rats that keep running in and out of my chickens coop and I’m worried that they are going to end up hurting my chickens and they just scare me as well. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Everytime I cover the holes they keep making new ones and I’ve tried putting rat poison in them (I kept it away from the chickens and they didn’t eat it) but it still didn’t work. Is there a chicken safe spray or something i can use to stop the rats from coming in or does anyone else know what I can do to stop them?
Get a "Rat Zapper" or similar item. Works Great !! Amazon has many such items ,inexpensive and do well. I prefer the one that works on electric rather than the solar type.I think they both work well , I just don't have much confidence in solar power.

just an FYI...
If you buy bales of straw or hay, you will bring in rats and mice! They love to over winter in straw and hay bales!
Everytime we have to buy straw, we always get an increase in rodent activity and so the poison and traps come out.I
Just do not use poison or the traps Inside your coop or run.

My neighbour put a couple of bales of hay in his garden and we started getting mice.

My friend helped me too change things around in my garden and I haven't seen or heard one since.
Apparently rats and mice are not comfortable when you change things around. Plus my cat has been doing the rounds and all of my grass has disappeared because of my chickens. Mice like long grass so right now there's nowhere for them to hide

Back
Top Bottom