How to get rid of Stick-fast fleas!!!!

Sweet Crumble

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
in the coop
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, so if anybody else out the has those awful 'stickfast fleas'
(The little black bugs that stick to your chickens faces and crowns)
They are really hard to get rid of, I figured out how to get rid of them!!!:ya:wee
If they are just on the faces, then all you have to do is rub Vaseline all over where the bugs are. It might be uncomfortable for them, but it's better than having those awful blood sucking bugs on them. This will stop them from breathing, therefore they should disconnect.
If they are one the body as well, then you can go to your local vet, they should have some insecticide (Frontline is what we used), for dogs and cats, but it is perfectly fine for chickens.
Just put a squirt under each of their wings. It works just like when you put flea treatment on the neck of your dog, it spreads through the rest of their body.
Because its insecticide, it is still fine to eat their eggs, (our vet did it and she still eats them) but we are going to wait a month, just in case.
Anyways, hope this works for you, like it did for us.
Oh, and to keep them from going back on to your chickens, you can do a number of things, like put insecticide around the coop, of put lime powder. Just ask your vet.

Good luck!:thumbsup

Some one mentioned Sevin Dust mix with water and apply to fleas. Also to use DE and sprinkle it all over ground of coup, and nesting areas. I really just notice the dark spots on my chickens and picked one up to have a closer look and saw these Stick Fast fleas all in a cluster on their face and waddles. I really need to get some help on what and how to treat them. Thanks.

Some one mentioned Sevin Dust mix with water and apply to fleas. Also to use DE and sprinkle it all over ground of coup, and nesting areas. I really just notice the dark spots on my chickens and picked one up to have a closer look and saw these Stick Fast fleas all in a cluster on their face and waddles. I really need to get some help on what and how to treat them. Thanks.

Sticktight Fleas need to be smothered. You can use vaseline as the OP mentioned or if on the face plain Neosporin may be better. The ointment will smother the fleas. You still need to pick the fleas off with tweezers, even when they die they stick tight:D

I would suggest that you also go ahead an treat your flock with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust following manufacturer's recommendations and clean out your coop as well.

I have between 20 - 30 free-range fowl, depending on fox/dog/cat/dingo strike rates and have struggled with stickfast fleas for more than 12 months. I'd hoped they were seasonal but they survive all year around (apparently) and have tried all the medicated dust, diatomaceous earth, spray insecticide and even ivomectin, most with moderate success but failed to eliminate the eggs in the breeding cycle.
The coop area is easy enough to hit with DE and insecticide but my birds were going under the house and shed so they'd spread the flea eggs over a wide area that has been difficult to control the infestation. Every few weeks a few nymphs or adult fleas would appear. A few months ago I took a bucket of ash from my wood heater (free!) and just shovel-spread the ash initially with the same objective as DE - to dry the newly hatched nymphs out. Eventually I used the air compressor to blow the ash dust throughout the under-house and shed area, which is a whole lot quicker and easier than crawling through a confined space with toxic chemical spray.
The fine ash seems to do the trick, and the birds will sometimes have a dry bath in it. My understanding is the flea eggs are viable for a few weeks in the ground; a nice layer of inert ash dust awaits the hatchlings at my place ;)

Back
Top Bottom