How to get rid of the chicken smell

Linda91722

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
California
Hello, I have a question. My husband says that you can smell my girls from a block away (I am lucky in a way, I have a poor sense of smell) is there anything I can do in order to get rid of the smell.

Tell your husband to stop exaggerating!
hmm.png

Good hygene and clean coops will keep the smell to a minimum. But animals smell no matter what you do.

How many do you have and how often do you clean? I only have six and I don't notice any kind of smell even when I stick my head in their coop.

I say maybe some cottonballs in his nostrils? Some Febreeze on his clothes?
big_smile.png

The only chickens I can smell from a block away are the commercial chicken houses. I know sometimes my little coop smells, but you have to be within 10 feet.
I have noticed that right after they poop, WHEW, its a stink!! But it dries up pretty quick. Maybe I just have a poor sense of smell too. But when it does start to stink a little, I just scoop off the layer of poop.
I know someone will answer who may have better suggestions.

I sprinkle some de in the coop everyday just a little and stir up the shavings and i cant smell anything in my coop. No flies either!! I also sprinkle some in the run once a week.

You should have some ventilation (windows) to your coop to help air it out.

Dogs and Cats smell too, and imo, THEIR poo is even stinkier than chickens.

Sometimes I notice that if I give them leftover fruits and veggies, they can end up smelling ... and the feed if it gets moist.

Try and rake up their poops around the yard/ pen and use pine shavings in the pen... and I don't think you'll have the problem. Of course, some people have very sensitive noses.
roll.png

I have a nose like a bloodhound (according to DH
tongue.png
). Chickens, like any other animal, have an odor. I notice they smell more "chicken" when it's hot and humid out, just like the dog smells more "dog" and the cat more "cat".

Keeping the coop and run clean and dry eliminates all the foul odors, but you can't eliminate "fowl" odors unless you eliminate the fowl.

Just my thoughts.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom