How to get rid of the chicken smell

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Linda91722, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    Hello, I have a question. My husband says that you can smell my girls from a block away (I am lucky in a way, I have a poor sense of smell) is there anything I can do in order to get rid of the smell.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Tell your husband to stop exaggerating! [​IMG]
    Good hygene and clean coops will keep the smell to a minimum. But animals smell no matter what you do.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How many do you have and how often do you clean? I only have six and I don't notice any kind of smell even when I stick my head in their coop.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If his car/truck is set on 'inside air' then you can blame the smell on him [​IMG]

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I say maybe some cottonballs in his nostrils? Some Febreeze on his clothes? [​IMG]
    The only chickens I can smell from a block away are the commercial chicken houses. I know sometimes my little coop smells, but you have to be within 10 feet.
    I have noticed that right after they poop, WHEW, its a stink!! But it dries up pretty quick. Maybe I just have a poor sense of smell too. But when it does start to stink a little, I just scoop off the layer of poop.
    I know someone will answer who may have better suggestions.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Don't know what you are using for bedding, but pine shavings help cut down on odor.

7. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    I sprinkle some de in the coop everyday just a little and stir up the shavings and i cant smell anything in my coop. No flies either!! I also sprinkle some in the run once a week.

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You should have some ventilation (windows) to your coop to help air it out.

Dogs and Cats smell too, and imo, THEIR poo is even stinkier than chickens.

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes I notice that if I give them leftover fruits and veggies, they can end up smelling ... and the feed if it gets moist.

Try and rake up their poops around the yard/ pen and use pine shavings in the pen... and I don't think you'll have the problem. Of course, some people have very sensitive noses. [​IMG]

10. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have a nose like a bloodhound (according to DH [​IMG]). Chickens, like any other animal, have an odor. I notice they smell more "chicken" when it's hot and humid out, just like the dog smells more "dog" and the cat more "cat".

Keeping the coop and run clean and dry eliminates all the foul odors, but you can't eliminate "fowl" odors unless you eliminate the fowl.

Just my thoughts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by