How to get rid of Yellowjackets?

We had a nest in our home wall. They ate through the drywall and we would get one in the house when they figured out how to maneuver past the kitchen cabinets in their way. We tried spray, but bc of their next location, it was ineffective. So, spouse waited until dusk. Suited up in winter gear (coat, goggles, long thick pants, socks, boots, using duct tape to seal up any openings, such at at boot/pants junction. The hood on the coat was cinched up around the goggles. Then, using a shop vac, he sat there sucking up the live yellow jackets for about an hour as they would go in and out of their hole. After a decent time, I came out (suited up) with spray and he began to dismantle the exterior wall. More vacuuming, some spraying.

In the end, humans=1, yellow jackets=0.

We had to patch the kitchen drywall from the backside, we fixed that wall and no yellow jacket has attempted to get into the wall again.

So, vacuum those bugs up. But protect your skin- yes, you’ll be hot, but not stung.
that would freak me out. good job.

This time of year the yellow jackets are looking for meat, you can make a trap with a cake pan type tray and a board with chicken or fish afixed to the board. The board would be turned upside down on the tray with the tray filled with water about 1" from the meat. When the yellow jackets come for the bait they land on the board and crawl to the bait but after feeding they fly off into the water and they drown. The board should be a couple inches narrower then the tray.
Do you have a picture of this, by chance?

I've knocked nests down with a very long pvc pipe at night, with a bit of moonlight I could still see, & stomped on any I saw moving. I don't like to use chemicals near pigeons or chickens, but did have a Simple Green spray stream bottle handy, as well as the hose to at least knock down any flying. Usually, I see nests before they get large. Larger nests means more to get stung by. For nests I couldn't reach well by the long pole, I sprayed them full blast, jet setting, with the hose, then stomped what hit the ground, always at night. I have only gotten stung by wasps when pruning a tree or picking off bagworms & I didn't know a nest was in there. Those times, I did use wasp hornet spray, as they were not near my flock & I didn't see any wild bird nests. It is no fun getting stung! They make nests in some odd places, too. They like air vent louvers, under any overhang, inside soffits, behind siding, in Holly or evergreen trees, inside those outdoor electrical box covers, real fun when going to plug a tool in...instead of working you're running lol. I wish you luck, and recommend you wear protective clothing, buy a Tyvek suit if you have to.

I have a nest in my wall im waiting for fall to block it off so they can nest there next year. Though i do have a nest of paper wasp in my shed but they never leave it so i left it lol
20230813 (4).JPG
in the spring it was only three...their family grew lol

Earlier this year, I had a yellow jacket nest in an old wood pile very close to the goose pen. I didn’t want to spray a lot of toxic liquid type stuff. Sevin dust worked. I applied about a Tbsp at the entrance /exit where I saw the yellow jacks coming and going. They get it on themselves and carry it deep inside the nest. It takes a few days, but it kills them all.

I just noticed this on the side of my house. Bald faced hornets. They are always around somewhere so I think I'll just leave it till late in the winter when they abandon the nest then knock it down. They're not really bothering me since it's so high up. I am a little concerned though - old farmers tale my grandpa used to tell me is that the location of the nests tells you how bad of a winter you'll have. The higher it is the more snow you'll have and if it's on a south or east face of a building it's going to be cold. I've found this to be generally true at least here in PA. So this nest is at least 15 feet or more up and on the south side of my house. I think I better get out the manual and figure how to attach the snow plow to my tractor - LOL.
IMG_0453.JPG

I just noticed this on the side of my house. Bald faced hornets. They are always around somewhere so I think I'll just leave it till late in the winter when they abandon the nest then knock it down. They're not really bothering me since it's so high up. I am a little concerned though - old farmers tale my grandpa used to tell me is that the location of the nests tells you how bad of a winter you'll have. The higher it is the more snow you'll have and if it's on a south or east face of a building it's going to be cold. I've found this to be generally true at least here in PA. So this nest is at least 15 feet or more up and on the south side of my house. I think I better get out the manual and figure how to attach the snow plow to my tractor - LOL.
View attachment 3612641
Really?? Ive noticed bee hives here being higher up.

I have a crappy pre-fab coop that is within a cow shed that I have put doors on and renovated. There’s a Yellowjacket nest on the pre-fab—as I discovered when I opened the egg door and got stung on my neck/face/arms.

I want to knock the nest down at night and then drag the pre-fab coop out in a few days when the little jerks wander off. It’s not a big nest, but it doesn’t take many to really **** up your day, lol.

How hard is this?? I do not relish the idea of getting stung more/again.

Put the chickens in another coop and wait until dark to destroy the nest. Cover your arms and legs before lighting a candle close enough to the nest that smoke goes inside the entrance hole. After the bees come out and quit flying around knock the nest down on the ground with a broom stick and set it on fire. I kill any I see walking on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom