How to get the chickens to stop pecking at timid rooster crest scabbed

Quote:
In answer to your questions, yes, the Vick's/grape Kool-aid has worked beyond my expectations. The pullet with the injured comb has remained unmolested, and no further pecking from the tribe. And the older hen with the naked throat has ceased picking her pin feathers out as soon as they start to pop out.

As for the hens being neutralized to the grape Kool-aid by their love of fresh grapes, the two are totally different. It's the chemical compound that makes up the artificial grape flavoring that is the secret. The chickens can still love to eat grapes and be repelled by the artificial grape flavor mixed in with the Vick's which has turpentine oil that also acts as a repellent.

However, I don't believe I'll be using it on feathered areas again since it's so greasy and even bathing wouldn't clean it off the feathers. Thankfully, she's resumed molting, and she's in the process of shedding the greasy feathers.

I've heard tea tree oil is toxic to birds - I'd stay away from it. A little Vick's and Kool-aid isn't going to hurt them.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about using it on chickens. What you're referencing seems to apply to mucous secretions in mammals, and it was from the Vick's being applied directly under the nose. Even assuming birds would react similarly, you wouldn't ever have occasion to apply it to a chicken's nostrils.

I haven't observed any adverse reactions from any of my hens during the time I was using it.

But I have heard tea tree oil is very bad for chickens.

I am getting so discouraged. We built this beautiful coop, did research on the proper chickens for our needs and our area....good space, good food, good care. All we have had is problems and loss. I went out today and now the auracana had massive blood on her underside. Almost looked like she was hemmorrhaging. I know that they have one area...the vent, but I swear it looks like she has two. Anyway, it was constantly contracting. there were what appeared to be blood clots or skin with blood all over it, but it looked like from the base of her tail right down to her vent was completely skinned. I cleaned her up and separated her because, of course, they were all over her. I reapplied the vicks/cayenne pepper mixture to the backso f the astralorp and the brahama and the auracana as the pin feathers were coming back in. I can't figure out what is wrong. I hope that she is OK when I check in the morning. I have another friend who started at the same time same conditions and she has had NO problems.

OK...so she has made it through two nights so far. I have been putting the vicks/cayenne mix on the backs of each affected bird. When I took her out the next day, all of the blood was dried for the most part. There was still an area of open sore at the very base of her tail. Since she is one of the picked on already, I didn't want to isolate her entirely, if possible, so we coated her under the tail as well and went out to check on her throughout the entire day. They didn't reopen anything, but, I still opted to put her back in the crate in the coop for the night with food and water and beddding. I will probably do this for a few more nights as there was so much blood, it will still be dried on her back end for awhile. I tried cleaning it, but, that was hard. I was SOOOOOOOOO happy that she made it through the night. SOOOOOOO glad!

Hi azygous,

I am new to this site, but have had chickens for 3yrs now...
I have some Barred Rocks picking on my Ameraucana's (easter eggers)... In some cases, rather badly, the one(s) doing this has
even picked on one of my Blue Wheaten roo's, the other is ok.
I saw you had a mix of vicks and grape kool aide... What is the mix combo?

And for anyone else reading this post, has anyone heard of using iodine (mix) to stop the cannibalism?
If so please post a reply... I need to stop this!!!!
bow.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Thanx for any help

I have successfully used vicks (knock off brand from walmart or dollar store is cheapest) and mixed it with cayenne pepper. What I have found is because they preen themselves, no mattter what I use, they eventually get used to it.....so...switching between blukote when they really need that and the vicks/cayenne and even some of the teatree oil salve seems to help in some cases.....the poor auracanas though....one looks like she belongs on the grocery shelf she is so picked. It is awful. I keep thinking that I will go out and find her dead one of these mornings.

I have bin having the same problem with my hens picking on my rooster and pecking out all of the feathers on top of his head and tail ....thank you so much I have bin going crazy trying to help him and find some answered. . I am going to try that mixture of Vicks and grape koolaid ...and what is the ratio for the Vicks and cayenne pepper?? I have also just heard of a mix of pine tar and Neosporin ointment any feedback on that thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom