How to get the Chicks socialized to me?

I just got 3 chicks today from the feed store (I forgot the ask the hatch date, but I know where they came from and they arrived at the PO yesterday...so 2-3 days)! I force mine to "love me", lol. I've been in there a dozen times today checking on them, playing with them, and just enjoying watching them. I don't pick them up every time, I think I've had the lid off the brooder maybe 3 times today. But, the smallest of them, a SLW I've named 'Clyde' actually sat down and took a little nap in my palm when I picked her up this evening! I figure when they're little, I can force them to socialize with me, lol.

oooh, yeah, handle away!!!
gently of course.

talk, watch, enjoy, have fun!

my chooks (5/2010 hatch) are sooo very nice and friendly because of all the attention.

I've been handling mine since I got them. Socks is about 3 wks old and the others are almost 2 wks. Socks now jumps up in my lap when I let her out of the tub.
smile.png

We try to hold them every day. I also find that the more people who hold them (carefully and kindly, of course), the more socialized they become. My sisters-in-law love to cuddle our new chicks, my little kids are allowed to pet them with one finger, and my husband and I both try to interact with them throughout the day a little at a time. We did this with our now-two-year old flock and those girls will still sit on our laps and they come running hilariously to us whenever we come out to the backyard.

People who come over are always amazed at how friendly our flock is. It's funny, we've been holding our new ones just a few minutes each day for the almost week we've had them and one of them (Amelia) actually watches for anyone to peek over the edge, then, if she sees anyone, she'll tilt her head to look at them, walk closer, and stand chirping until you pick her up. Then she immediately falls asleep in your hand. SO CUTE. She'd better not be a rooster.
wink.png

So, my advice: commence cuddling.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
The one in the middle with the dark head and dark stripe what kind is it? I have one just like it and it is my special needs chick. Just wondering it's breed.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I thought they looked a little small for 6 weeks. ours are 2 weeks old today. we play with them and handle them several times a day. look in the sporting goods dept at the Wally World and get some meal worms. think someone else said this also. you will be supprised how friendly they get for a few worms. ours will just mob your hand if it had a worm. now they will just jump into my hand if I put it in the brooder. good luck and happy chicking.

Glad to know that they can start trying treats so young. We've tried bugs since that's what they would normally find if they were being raised by a momma but they're not too enthused at this point. If you forgot to ask how old your chicks are when you bought them, how do you guess? The wing feathers have come in nicely this week and the tail feathers have started. (If this is addressed elsewhere on the forums, I apologize.)

Hi every1!! Im a newbie with chickens.I have 7 girls.5 buff orpingtons and 2 americaunas.they are about 2 weeks.between myself and my 3 kids they get handled and played with alot.They are very social and love the kids!!My question is when is it ok to start giving them mealworms, and crickets from the pet store.I cant wait to see them chasing around crickets!!
smile.png

Quote:
I thought they looked a little small for 6 weeks. ours are 2 weeks old today. we play with them and handle them several times a day. look in the sporting goods dept at the Wally World and get some meal worms. think someone else said this also. you will be supprised how friendly they get for a few worms. ours will just mob your hand if it had a worm. now they will just jump into my hand if I put it in the brooder. good luck and happy chicking.

You can get them at pet stores too. I feed my Lizard Mealworms and she LOVES them That is where I get hers. I dono why I never thought about giving them to the chicks! I was trying to figure out something small enough to treat them to. Having them jump into your hand in the brooder would tickle me pink.

I was afraid to handle the first set of chicks we got in Sept 2010. I was afraid i'd break them or that the oils from my hands would not be good for them. As a result only one of my hens lets me pet her and it is on HER terms LOL. The rest will follow me around because they know I am their source for easy food.

Quote:
The one in the middle with the dark head and dark stripe what kind is it? I have one just like it and it is my special needs chick. Just wondering it's breed.
big_smile.png

I was told she was an Easter Egger, This is the first time I have ever had chickens so just going by what the breeder told me.

Back
Top Bottom