How to get the hens to use the roosts

Thomps Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Ohio
Our girls are finally in their new coop but when we sneak out and check on them a couple hours after dark there are only about 2 of them up on the roosts.Two nights now we have individually put them up on the roosts hoping that they will get the idea. So far no luck. lol Does it take time or should we be persistent and keep placing them on the roosts. A few try going into the nest boxes and we chase them out of there so that the don't dirty that area.

Our girls are finally in their new coop but when we sneak out and check on them a couple hours after dark there are only about 2 of them up on the roosts.Two nights now we have individually put them up on the roosts hoping that they will get the idea. So far no luck. lol Does it take time or should we be persistent and keep placing them on the roosts. A few try going into the nest boxes and we chase them out of there so that the don't dirty that area.

what are the measurements of your roosts? It may be that they aren't wide enough. Are the roosts higher than the nesting boxes?

One roost is about 2 ft higher than the nesting boxes and the other about 3 to 3 1/3 foot. They are about 4 foot wide.

How old are they? If juveniles, they'll go up when they're ready. If adults, I'd keep trying th placing them up on the roosts for a week or more. They'll get tired of being disturbed at night and should start going up on their own. If they can't fly that high you may need to add a lower roost or walkway up.

A few are 17 weeks and the others are 18 weeks.
We have 3 separate walkways up to the roost levels as well.

Last edited:
I have the same issue! My older girls roost. But my young guys stay outside in a little dog shelter type thing that we built for them.
My hen with her 7 chicks roost, because mom has shown them how.

I'm assuming in time that they will do it on their own because it is an instinct. Last night when we went out and checked on them there were 4 of our 10 on the roosts.

I am in the same situation. My 4 peeps were raised in a dog kennel until the coop was built. I got them at 4weeks. They are 3 months now. I can't free range so we built a structure with 2 levels. Making a long story short this is their 3rd night in the coop. The took to the ladder within an hour but I have to go in every night and put them inside the roost area. There is a walk way on in front of the little room and they seem to want to huddle up there instead of go all the way in. I can't have them sleeping there cause their poopy won't fall they sitting in it. I'm hoping they will learn to go in. 2 nights they stayed in. At least tonight one was already in I had to put the other 3 in. If they don't take to it then I might have to get hubby to block that area off maybe with a leaning wall so they can't walk on it. There is a roost in there, a screened window for air. Will they learn

Is it necessary for them to go up on roosts and must the roosts be higher up? My little coop has some roosts, but they are only a few inches from the pine chip filled bottom tray and I think they just snuggle down on the tray.
Should I be concerned?

All of my hens are cuddling together in the nesting box. These are my first hens, I have had them for less than a week. Should I be blocking the nesting boxes so they can't cuddle?

Back
Top Bottom