how to get them to go into the coop at night

Mother of All

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Millbrook
I have a group of 29 chicks that are all about 9 weeks old now and 2 9 week old turkeys. They all share their own coop/ run set-up next to the older 30 chicks. They have been in this set-up now for about 5 weeks. Every night I have to go out after dark, enter the run and put them all into the coop one at a time. Their run does not have a top on it at this time so I have to make sure they are in the coop. How do I get them to go to bed. I have tried putting a 40 watt light into the coop which is bright. I need someone to help please

Keep them locked in the coop for a couple of days and even up to one week. They will get used to sleeping there rather than the run and will actually prefer the safety of the shelter. Especially if they discover the roosts.

You can even turn on your light at dusk and they should gravitate towards the light and away from the dark. Some folks even feed a little scratch in the coop in the evening to get them used to coming in doors at that time and then they just shut them in. The chickens will get the hang of it with whatever method you use.

Good luck!

I moved my chicks from the brooder to their coop at 6 1/2 weeks of age. I kept them in the hen house for two days and nights and then they always put themselves to bed. At 9 weeks of age I went out at after dark and slipped them onto the roost as they were still sleeping in a chick pile on the floor (they did "nap" on the roost). The second night I went to the hen house 2 of them were already on the roost so I put the other 3 on it. Third night--all were on the roost and have been since
big_smile.png
. Habits are easy to form if you start off in the beginning. Now they have their own habits formed and it will take longer to change them--be patient and lock them in for a few days and near dusk the last night watch them and see if they start going in--if not use the treat method Beekissed mentioned!
lol.png

lau.gif

ya.gif

wee.gif

yippiechickie.gif

Get your six year old daughter on the other side and herd them towards you while you hold a board so they wont go the other way and go inside their home
gig.gif

thats what i have to do sometimes when my hubby isnt home they listen to him
bun.gif

Last edited:
I keep mine in the coop for a few days and then they went in at night by themselves, they knew it was bedtime. I moved mine out when they were about 6 weeks old and they are now 12 weeks. good luck.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this...but that is a pretty small space for that number of birds. They may seem
small right now but soon you will have some overcrowding issues.

Other than chasing them in each evening, or offering a scratch snack in the coop at dusk and shutting them in, I guess your options are limited.

Just to ease everyone mine. When they get to be a little bigger I will open the door between the two runs so everyone will be able to go between the two runs and two coops.

I know alot of people suggest night lights I Move my birds at about 5-6 weeks to there outside domains Leave them there with water and feed for 3-5 days then when i turn them loose I put there water and feed just outside the area they were in before. this is a few of my cages. the middle cage were chicks in training
wink.png

cages.jpg

Back
Top Bottom