How to get your hens to eat oyster shells

Hi, question? I saw some "ALL Flock" at TSC. Seems I recall it had ducks on it. Is this the same stuff?

All-flock, flock raiser, flock balancer, etc. are all feeds intended to use for whatever poultry you have -- including ducks, geese, and turkeys -- as well as for all ages of chickens.

I have a mixed flock of ducks, pullets, layer hens, and roosters. I feed them all chick starter grower (17% protein) for most of the year plus Coastal Poultry Shell (another that is Rick like and mostly calcium not oyster). I mix some baked/crushed egg shell into the poultry shell to entice them to eat it. While the egg shell is a treat that most of the birds will happily gorge on, even if not laying, the oyster shell is something they eat sparingly. I go through about 50 lb poultry shell per year for 35 hens and another 25 Guinea fowl. Interestingly, my Guinea fowl like the poultry shell but won’t eat crushed egg shells. In the spring, all birds go on layer feed for a few months, until chicks get added to the flock, when all birds switch back to chick starter/grower. In their fall molt, all birds go on a 28% protein all flock feed.

Does anyone use oyster flour?
I never have, but I probably would not try it for these reasons:

Finely ground stuff is hard for chickens to eat, so they might prefer their calcium in bigger pieces.

Also, a powder would be absorbed all at once, instead of dissolving gradually to provide a steady supply of calcium. So they might run short during the night, where larger pieces might continue to provide calcium all night as well as all day.

If you are looking for a product to buy for chickens, I would look for larger pieces instead of oyster flour. But if you already have some, you could offer some to your chickens and see what they do with it. I don't think it will cause any harm, and they might get some benefits.

Finely ground stuff is hard for chickens to eat, so they might prefer their calcium in bigger pieces.

Also, a powder would be absorbed all at once, instead of dissolving gradually to provide a steady supply of calcium. So they might run short during the night, where larger pieces might continue to provide calcium all night as well as all day.

If you are looking for a product to buy for chickens, I would look for larger pieces instead of oyster flour. But if you already have some, you could offer some to your chickens and see what they do with it. I don't think it will cause any harm, and they might get some benefits.
You’re correct! Particle size matters. 👍😊

I add Omega 3 to the side dish of oyster flakes. I have not had any problems with them eating this combination. But they will not eat the oyster "pearls" which are marketed as oyster shells, but I think they are most likely a composite of other calcium rich ingredients such as limestone. Nothing wrong with it, but I do think the "pearls" are a bit too large and possibly too hard for my girls to break up easily.

I found the oyster flakes that I had originally purchased. See attached photos. I also attached some photos of the ManaPro oyster "pearls" next to the flakes. I will see what happens. In the past when their side dish was almost empty, it was almost evenly used between the flakes and the Omega 3. No so with the "pearls".

Pacific Pearl oyster flakes is offered by Lind Marine, Petaluma California. It cost about $11 for 50 pounds. Again, I put it in my compost as well. It does degrade slowly, but I have a very large compost pile that I cold compost for the most part since I also keep my compost worms inside the pile.

Attachments

• IMG_7865.JPG
    IMG_7865.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7858.JPG
    IMG_7858.JPG
    605.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7859.JPG
    IMG_7859.JPG
    841.3 KB · Views: 3

But what if we are just having trouble getting them to eat the bigger pieces at all? Could occasionally tossing their feed with oyster flour be helpful? Not everyday, but maybe once a week or just as-needed.

But what if we are just having trouble getting them to eat the bigger pieces at all? Could occasionally tossing their feed with oyster flour be helpful? Not everyday, but maybe once a week or just as-needed.
If they need more calcium, then definitely use any method you think will work.

But first make sure they DO need it (if they are laying eggs with thin shells or soft shells.)

Hens need the right amount of calcium, not too much or too little. Being wrong either direction can cause problems.

If they need more calcium, then definitely use any method you think will work.

But first make sure they DO need it (if they are laying eggs with thin shells or soft shells.)

Hens need the right amount of calcium, not too much or too little. Being wrong either direction can cause problems.
Thanks. Yeah, I just meant for the times when they seem to need a boost, such as when I notice thin shells.

Back
Top Bottom