How to get your hens to eat oyster shells

But they have to have oystershell too because just recycling their own eggshells isn't enough due to the losses along the way.
Oh, good point. Is this still true if you feed a layer ration? I was under the impression that if you feed layer ration and give them eggshells as well, it is enough. I give my hens layer feed and still have oyster shells out 24/7 anyway (even if they pretty much refuse to eat them) so it doesn't matter for me, but I'm just curious.

I personally haven't had any issues with shell quality since I started feeding them eggshells and not pushing the oyster shells as much.

I also feed back eggshell to my ladies, and they love it. I don't bother baking or crushing them. Just wait until they are dry and crumble up by hand.

But as @3KillerBs mentioned, they still need other calcium sources because the eggshells alone will gradually have less and less calcium content
I used to have an egg-eater problem. That hen has now passed but I still get anxious about having another with that problem. So I am very careful to pulverize the shells beyond the point of recognition 😂 We all do what works for us.

And yeah, I didn't really think of that. I haven't had an issue because I have layer feed, egg shells, and oyster shells out all day, but that is a good point. I just wanted to share that with OP in case her hens since it's still better than nothing at all. I guess I am wrong to say it's "just as good" though.

As others have said save your shells and mix them with your oyster shell. I have a 2 1/2 yr old brahma that won't touch oyster shell. On another note, what type of oyster shell are you using? A year or so back the flaked oyster shell was hard to find so I bought the pebbled, none of my ladies would eat it and ultimately it got thrown away.
I dunno. The run of the mill stuff. It looks like pebbles and they are hard white rocks

Maybe mix some oyster shell/eggshell with treats. Mine don't like certain types of oyster shell and will only eat 1 type: Small pet select. I swear they gulf it all down in 5 mins, but when I switch it with another type, they never touch it.
I sprinkled some on top of some carrots but I will find a dish to put mealworms and oyster shell

Today I came across my first shell-less egg. I make sure to have oyster shell in the run but they seem to never eat it. How do I get them to eat it? Maybe I should tell them no treats until they finish their oyster shell...
What is their regular feed, protein and calcium percentages, and is it always available?
How many and waht kind of 'treats' are you giving?
They really only need a good chicken ration and clean plain water.

I have sprinkled some OS out in the run and just a few pieces on top of feed when I had new pullets that weren't eating it out of the OS feeder jug.

Oh, good point. Is this still true if you feed a layer ration? I was under the impression that if you feed layer ration and give them eggshells as well, it is enough. I give my hens layer feed and still have oyster shells out 24/7 anyway (even if they pretty much refuse to eat them) so it doesn't matter for me, but I'm just curious.

I personally haven't had any issues with shell quality since I started feeding them eggshells and not pushing the oyster shells as much.

Layer feed has calcium included in it so in that case their eggshells are probably enough.

I don't feed layer because I have a mixed flock with males and non-laying juveniles.

What is their regular feed, protein and calcium percentages, and is it always available?
How many and waht kind of 'treats' are you giving?
They really only need a good chicken ration and clean plain water.

I have sprinkled some OS out in the run and just a few pieces on top of feed when I had new pullets that weren't eating it out of the OS feeder jug.
CamScanner 10-31-2022 16.43.jpg

This feed is always available via tub feeder

View attachment 3308201
This feed is always available via tub feeder
That should be about the right amount of calcium, so it is reasonable for the hens to mostly ignore the oyster shell you provide.

You've only found one softshell egg so far, right? If you find more softshell eggs, that may indicate that a particular hen needs more calcium, or that the flock in general is eating too many treats and not enough of the layer feed or the oyster shell.

But as long as it's just one egg, one time, I don't see any reason to worry. With eggs, there are lots of wierd things that can happen a few times and then go back to normal, without you needing to change or fix anything.

That should be about the right amount of calcium, so it is reasonable for the hens to mostly ignore the oyster shell you provide.

You've only found one softshell egg so far, right? If you find more softshell eggs, that may indicate that a particular hen needs more calcium, or that the flock in general is eating too many treats and not enough of the layer feed or the oyster shell.

But as long as it's just one egg, one time, I don't see any reason to worry. With eggs, there are lots of wierd things that can happen a few times and then go back to normal, without you needing to change or fix anything.
Yeah I assumed it would be a one time thing but I just wanted to get some more knowledge on how to prevent this

I dunno. The run of the mill stuff. It looks like pebbles and they are hard white rocks
That sounds more like limestone, can you get actual shell? I know that none of my hens were very keen on that stuff.
If there's only been one soft shelled egg, that it might just have been a glitch, and they have enough calcium. Where I live, if they are without their oyster shell for just a couple of days their eggs get soft, and they will gobble it up. (the oyster shell, I mean)

Back
Top Bottom