how to get your roo to eat out of your hand

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Miss Lydia, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just bought for my chickens freeze dried meal worms, as a suggestion from seismic wonder 2 to help win the affection of a little frizzle banty that had be ruffed up by some rhode island reds, when i got her she wouldn't have anything to do with any of my chickens or me she was very tramatized, but since getting the meal worms not only has she started coming around but my rooster rufus a banty/game mix is now eating out of my hand which is much better than what i've heard some roosters do to their owners, so I now know that the way to a rooster heart is the same as for a man through his stomach;)

2. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    [​IMG] very true. I think thats the way to all chicken hearts!

3. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

the question now is, how do you get them to stop?!? i've got a couple who will peck my hands if there is no treat to be had... silly buggers!

4. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    I have one that pecks your hand, too. Or if you are working in the coop and she thinks you are ignoring her, she pecks on your leg until you give her some attention. They are SO much fun! Lynn

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Mine are so used to people giving them peanuts that they will sneak up behind people who are sitting in lawn chairs, and stick their heads right in people's pockets to see if they can find any.

6. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OMG, that is *too* adorable! [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    My do chickens go crazy about meal worms? adorable [​IMG]

8. taranakichicken

taranakichicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    I didn't know when I got mine that they were going to be so naughty. Yesterday I left the shed door open and Derek the hen got in and dragged a little bag of maize out then proceeded to tear it to bits! I had to rescue her before she ate the plastic too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by