How to give a stubborn hen clacium tablets

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have to give one of my plymouths a clacium tablet for soft eggs. My ideas is to put it in scrambled eggs for her to eat because she wont it just the pill. And she wont eat it crushed. How much tablet should I give her? The tablets are big.

I have to give one of my plymouths a clacium tablet for soft eggs. My ideas is to put it in scrambled eggs for her to eat because she wont it just the pill. And she wont eat it crushed. How much tablet should I give her? The tablets are big.
Is there a specific reason for giving her calcium tablets instead of a different type of calcium supplement? There are lots of options for adding calcium. Commercially sold oyster shell is an easy one., I keep it it a rabbit feeder so mine can have as much as they want whenever they want it. They're very good at regulating themselves when it's readily available. A quick fix is to scramble some eggs, shell and all, and feed them back to her. If you really need to use the tablets, you can do the same thing - crush it into scrambled eggs.

An occasional soft egg or even several a week for a couple of weeks is not the end of the world. Egg laying is a complex process, and sometimes it goofs up. I know that many people fret over this, but truthfully, even if you do nothing, more than likely it will go away. A lot of people treat with additives and then think they cured it, but there is a strong possibility it will go away on it's own.

Calcium on the side if perfectly reasonable. If they need it, they will crave it is the theory. I have it out, and it is basically untouched, and eventually wears away in the rain. Once in a while I will get a soft egg, but most of the time I have good eggs.

I would not give a bird, or stress a bird out by trying to give a pill.

Mrs K

Is there a specific reason for giving her calcium tablets instead of a different type of calcium supplement? There are lots of options for adding calcium. Commercially sold oyster shell is an easy one., I keep it it a rabbit feeder so mine can have as much as they want whenever they want it. They're very good at regulating themselves when it's readily available. A quick fix is to scramble some eggs, shell and all, and feed them back to her. If you really need to use the tablets, you can do the same thing - crush it into scrambled eggs.
Shes been laying soft eggs almost every other day mostly every night on the roost and the others love it because once it splits they all jump to eat the yolk like it's the last slice of pizza. We have oyster shell on the side and I give her egg shells once in a while but ppl were telling me she needs more calcium and suggested this.

An occasional soft egg or even several a week for a couple of weeks is not the end of the world. Egg laying is a complex process, and sometimes it goofs up. I know that many people fret over this, but truthfully, even if you do nothing, more than likely it will go away. A lot of people treat with additives and then think they cured it, but there is a strong possibility it will go away on it's own.

Calcium on the side if perfectly reasonable. If they need it, they will crave it is the theory. I have it out, and it is basically untouched, and eventually wears away in the rain. Once in a while I will get a soft egg, but most of the time I have good eggs.

I would not give a bird, or stress a bird out by trying to give a pill.

Mrs K
I have a roister who has ruined all of the hens feathers and waiting to molt so they can get jew ones in. Could that be a stresser? I've been thinking to get them saddles. When she lays the soft egg it looks very uncomfortable as she is doing it standing up on the roost. At first I saw liquid coming out of her butt and than I realized she was gonna lay the egg so I caught it in a scoop thing so there wouldnt be a mess.

Has she always laid soft eggs at this rate, or is it a new issue? I have one hen that needs extra calcium at times. We have oyster shell on the side, but either she doesn't eat it, or she has an issue with her shell making. The problem with my hen is that the soft eggs get bound and makes her ill. You can buy Powdered calcium, on Amazon, and mix it with plain yogurt. My hen gobbles that up. My hen is going through her first, adult, molt now, so she's stopped laying. I'm hoping that the time off of laying will reset her system. :confused:

Has she always laid soft eggs at this rate, or is it a new issue? I have one hen that needs extra calcium at times. We have oyster shell on the side, but either she doesn't eat it, or she has an issue with her shell making. The problem with my hen is that the soft eggs get bound and makes her ill. You can buy Powdered calcium, on Amazon, and mix it with plain yogurt. My hen gobbles that up. My hen is going through her first, adult, molt now, so she's stopped laying. I'm hoping that the time off of laying will reset her system. :confused:
It's a new problem it's been many many many weeks of this but now it's more day after day thing. Other than that no symptoms of anything shes still giving attitude like she always does. There clumped poop on her butt feathers because shes just very poofy down there and we have to trim those but she doesnt like to be held and flaps her wings so that's a problem. I'm hoping when she starts molting itll also reset her system. Thank you for the calcium and yogurt idea!

You might also try a layer food that contains oyster shell. Purina Layena is the only one I know of, but there may be others. More expensive than some, probably, but worth it if it helps!

One thing I've read, is that you can crush it up and add it to blobs of yogurt - smear the yogurt over hard surfaces (like a rock) in the run. I would add some crushed oyster shell to the blobs of yogurt as well. Is the calcium tablet like citracal? the reason I as is that the vitamin d3 in citracal helps the calcium to absorb better. Which is something hens need especially when having issues.
I add crushed citracal to my oystershell containers and have it available when my hens present with soft shelled eggs.

One thing I've read, is that you can crush it up and add it to blobs of yogurt - smear the yogurt over hard surfaces (like a rock) in the run. I would add some crushed oyster shell to the blobs of yogurt as well. Is the calcium tablet like citracal? the reason I as is that the vitamin d3 in citracal helps the calcium to absorb better. Which is something hens need especially when having issues.
I add crushed citracal to my oystershell containers and have it available when my hens present with soft shelled eggs.
This is what I have

Attachments

• 20210921_153551.jpg
    20210921_153551.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom