How to grow your own mealworms instructions

Probably because the thought of those wiggling in my hands freaks me out. Lol.

I've been feeding them to my guineas and hens. I have used the mealworms to train the guineas and they go crazy to get them down the hatch as soon as possible.

Main reason is for storage really. I'd rather have them dried for the winter months.
Thanks.

I have been told to put them into a "rubbermaid-type" sealed container at about 1/2" thickness and put into the freezer. It is supposed to be a very humane way to kill them. Then, once dead you may roast them in the oven.
I might try a microwave for faster and more humane killing, myself.
Never done either, just told by people how to do it, but I'd rather feed live.

Yes. Feed them live to your feathered friends. Use knitted rubber palm gloves to handle. If it freaks you out. I use mealworms only to get my flock inside there coop from free ranging in the yard. Works like a charm.

Thanks. I also have the guineas that are free range. They come flying to me when I call them, knowing it's mealworm time.

Pick your phrase for mealworms. Only use that phrase or words when you have mealworms. Ours is chic chic. Good morning girl's when I collect egg's. I sing and wistle when I water and feed.They learn by love and repetition Grandma said. Once you teach repetition you gain control of you're flock and make them happy. Happy hens lay more delicious eggs. Win win.

thanks everyone - I have great expectations and will try this - if I order the worms and end up not liking it - the chickens/ducks can always eat the worms....

I have a mealworm farm- started with about 2500 worms, but now I have lots of beetles, a few chrysli, and very few worms. Feeding the chickens beetles to keep the number down, but when should I start seeing worms again?

Thanks. Guess I'm too impatient....was wondering if I had inadvertently destroyed the life cycle.

Back
Top Bottom