How to handle duck poo in the coop in winter??

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Okay, I am going to move 5 Muscovies (4 ducks 1 drake plus a youngster when it can go out of the house when feathered) into the barn over winter. Even with pine shavings down they will likely have the whole area sopping in feces before long. I love my ducks but they are so filthy. Non stop pooing. The area is about 8ft x 17 ft. There is no run as their winter housing is in the centre of the barn. So no day browsing. For those in similar situations how do you manage the ducks mess for 5 months in the winter? I'd love suggestions on what others have done. I have 3 turkeys and their pen shavings only need changing every 4-5 months as their poo is much more firmer and dries up fast. Chickens the same, only the ducks are a challenge.

Last edited:
I would find a way for them to get out some, i pick clean my barn daily, i keep 15 in the main barn all Muscovy, so quite a few in there. I don't find the barn actually gets that dirty, that said my birds are all let out daily to free range this housing is only for night or really, really bad weather.

Getting out is not possible. I guess you missed the part where I said they will be within the barn all winter , you pass through turkeys coops and rabbits to get to them. And no fenced in area outside at the barn, Lost 10 chickens to mink this Sept already so any outside time they are subject to the many coyotes, bald eagles and other predators. So comments from people who have to keep them inside all winter is what interests me. In spring, summer and early fall they can be in the pen beside the house but most earlier comments said no put them in the barn, which was the concensus so thats my plan now.

I know I am not the kind of duck keeper you are addressing, but it occurred to me that I would start with quite a bit of bedding, and turn it daily.

And I would have either peat moss or Sweet PDZ or something to prevent ammonia buildup.

I put 4 inches down today and will add more every so often as needed, I did the deep litter method for meat king chickens but found the surface became caked and underneath was alot of fresh shavings. With them though even turning over the litter can cause heart attacks. Basically it comes down to do you spend $50-100 on bedding or start of with new muscovies in the spring, except for a choice few. Generally ducks or drakes are $8 to 10 each most of the year here so replacements are cheap and generally laying come spring. Turkeys are very low maintenance in my opinion. Mine never have free ranged but their pen door has a mesh inner door that is open most days. I want more turkeys next year, But the ducks are my main concern right now.

This is not about ducks in the winter but I am really worried something might be wrong with my duck!! She walks fine but then starts to shake and sits down. PLEASE HELP!! I'm really worried!
hit.gif
0.jpg

This is not about ducks in the winter but I am really worried something might be wrong with my duck!! She walks fine but then starts to shake and sits down. PLEASE HELP!! I'm really worried!
hit.gif
0.jpg
First I think you should make a new post. Now do you know if they get enough niacin. It looks like a leg problem and niacin can usually help that. You can get it in supplements or use brewers yeast mixed in with food.

Had to break ice off their swimming pool and drinking water today. Going to move them today inside. The weather is way colder than last year. We didn't even see snow flakes till January but light snow yesterday. Its just hovering at 32F in the barn. Water will skim over with ice, so will need to be broken daily. Do they "need" water available 24/7 or just mostly at feeding time? That would simplify the water issue some.

Had to break ice off their swimming pool and drinking water today. Going to move them today inside. The weather is way colder than last year. We didn't even see snow flakes till January but light snow yesterday. Its just hovering at 32F in the barn. Water will skim over with ice, so will need to be broken daily. Do they "need" water available 24/7 or just mostly at feeding time? That would simplify the water issue some.
When you have feed out they need water. Over night they don't need feed and water. I use deep litter in my chicken/ ducks/ geese houses about 8'' in ducks houses and 10-12 in chicken coop. I just scoop out what's on top daily and turn with pitch fork. add new bedding about every 2 weeks to keep it deep.

Back
Top Bottom