How to handle with person selling sick birds *RESULTS IN *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra pachie bars

Queen of the Lost
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
My friend and neighbor bought two peafowl from a local seller. She is known in the area and will only say that. My friend paid 100.00 ea h for the two young males. Now my friend knows little about birds and is learning and loving it. I have the two birds and am currently treating with antibiotics. Like advised here. I also wormed. Not sure if this lady does or not. She says she does strict biohazard and doesn't let anyone on property. But i cant help but think she knew they were sick and made 200.00 off sick peafowl. One was making a giggle and now the other is. I am ticked and hoping the birds make it , they aree eating ok and drinking ok. My question is should i contact her on my friends behalf and ask for half money back or leave it alone. She knows better and I know that. But if I threatened to post it out in the open I think she wont care . She makes more then enough off people just driving by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Agree, the above option is valid. The seller should be open, at least in terms of communication and such. How long have you had them? If you contact her, ask about their health and tell her the problem. She should be very helpful or offer a refund if you have only had them a short time. If she is not helpful, plainly ask for a refund/return and state you are unsatisfied. Heck last night I emailed some of the people who got their first peafowl from me a couple months back just to check in and make sure the birds were good and they had no questions. I got a reply already that the pair is doing great and they are loving them. I've gotten some good stories back too and pictures of birds in their new homes. I kinda like to keep in touch with people and focus on customer service. We all do it because we love the birds and love to talk about them. For Bio security here, and we are NPIP, we allow people over, just not in the pens where they can contact the birds or contaminate feed/water stores.

Last edited:
I've had them for less then a week. I want to see how they do after a few more days of treatment. I did not like the conditions I saw so if I can make them well I rather them be here. They seem happy. She said to feed them chicken laying mash. Now I think that would be off since they are males and won't lay do they need laying mash? Isn't there something I can feed for healthily feather growth. I don't mind buying another food along with my chicken,horse,and lamb grain lol

Quote:
Agree, the above option is valid. The seller should be open, at least in terms of communication and such. How long have you had them? If you contact her, ask about their health and tell her the problem. She should be very helpful or offer a refund if you have only had them a short time. If she is not helpful, plainly ask for a refund/return and state you are unsatisfied. Heck last night I emailed some of the people who got their first peafowl from me a couple months back just to check in and make sure the birds were good and they had no questions. I got a reply already that the pair is doing great and they are loving them. I've gotten some good stories back too and pictures of birds in their new homes. I kinda like to keep in touch with people and focus on customer service. We all do it because we love the birds and love to talk about them. For Bio security here, and we are NPIP, we allow people over, just not in the pens where they can contact the birds or contaminate feed/water stores.

And that my freinds is how to build a good reputation and loyal customers.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
No layer is just fine. That's what most everyone feeds. It's hard to put layer in a breeder pen and tell just the hens to eat it, and another for the males and tell them just to eat it. Layer is the way to go, if you like, you can get maintenance feed, but there's no real point in it.

Did you mean to say they are making a gurgling sound? Kinda snotty and congested sounding?
If so, you have one of 2 things, gape worms or MG (Chronic Respiratory Disease)
For gape, treat with Ivermectin
MG has no cure and will go away visually after time, BUT it will always be carried by the birds and they will spread it to all other birds they come in contact with, also hen will pass it threw eggs too.
If it is that, definitely give them back. Worm them with Ivermectin, if it doesnt go away in 1-2 days, get rid of them.

Eye swelling, head shaking, yellow cake of hard puss in the eye lid, etc are signs of MG.

Now with gape worms, they shake the head too, to try to sling the worms out. If you can catch them, open their mouth and shin a light down their throat, you will often see the tiny red worms in the trachea. They also gasp for air with their mouths open a lot with them, thus the name GAPE worm.

Check and treat for them before you get too excited, if that's it, it's no big deal, just use a good wormer and you're done.

But if It's MG, YOU DONT WANT THEM!!!

I am currently treating a sick pea. I gave her Tylan powder mixing 1.5 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water and the same time treated for worms. The booger problem cleared up and I am treating for gapeworm today. I had to buy my Ivermectin pour on for cattle from Ebay or you can go to the website livestockconcepts.com. Deerman said 1/2 cc on the birds back under the feathers and will last for 30 days. My thread is called: Is my little Pea going to be ok? Please HELP I do have pictures so you can compare. I had to get her to eat and she went nuts for canned mixed veggies with no salt
wink.png
but wouldn't eat the pellets or mash so I gave her superworms from either Petco or Petsmart added to the bowl of food. She started eating everything 3 days into treatment of Amoxacillin, but that treatment did not work so I started the thread, but she was eating still. I feed my birds a mx of cracked corn and layer pellets (sometimes I add dry catfood 32% protien) to the long feeder and then I have a round feeder that I put a mix of Game starter crumbles and cracked corn. I have a platter that I put out for all of them that is 2 cans of drained mixed veggies with no salt added. My yard is still covered in frozen snow so they got to get the greens from me LOL

As for the seller, I would call her asking for advice. She might not have realized her birds were sick and could be treating her now. I always give people the benefit of doubt until I find out the truth. It never hurts to give a polite call seeking her "expertise," then you will find the truth. If your not happy wit the brds then, I would ask for a refund. If your happy with the birds and they are getting better then just say your done with it and move forward. Never buy from her again.
I hope this helps you,
Frank

I did give it s few days to treat them both. The one is getting better however , the other one died. I know she knowingly sold a sick bird. My friend asked why it was making that noise and she said she pushed on it when she put it in the bag. And if it was sick its nose would smell like dirty socks. My friend is new to birds so I think the seller knew this and took advantage and took the money for a sick bird. Now i assume this would not be the only one sick right ? She is a known person around the area and sells a lot of different kinds of birds. Not sure how to handle this for my friend, I took a photo of the dead peacock. It did not respond to treatment as advised here so unsure what it had but glad it was away from all my other birds.

Quote:
oh wow, sorry you lost the one but good to hear the other seems to be getting better. Hopefully that one will make a recovery for you! From what you said on the seller saying she pushed on it,etc I would really, REALLY question that. As far as pushing on the bird to make that noise, I just flat out don't believe that one at all. she knew the birds were sick and sold them to you anyway, if it were me I would be calling this person out so that others in your area do not have the same problems. sorry but breeders like this just make me
somad.gif

Have you contacted the seller at all? I would absolutely be calling to let them know and I would ask for a refund too, esp for the one that died. I would NOT take any replacement birds from this person either. It really sucks for you b/c I'm sure you have grown attached to the little pea but you certainly don't want to be dealing with chronic health problems and you don't want this bird to infect the rest of your flock. If you think the other is responding well though and you want to keep it I would continue to treat but keep away from everything else for several weeks, even after all treatment, just to protect your other birds and be sure this one will not transmit anything to your flock. Personally, I would be cautious about ever integrating this bird but that's just me.

As for whether or not she has other sick birds, that's something only she could say although she doesn't sound like she was being all that truthful with your friend so I'd take anything she says with a grain of salt. If those two she sold were with her other birds, odds are they are probably sick too. Really sucks that you have to deal with this but I guess you can take it as a learning experience, we've all had those! sounds like you are really trying to do what you can to help though so
thumbsup.gif
to you!

yes contacted the seller. she said it is my fault. The advice i took from my friends those here know nothing according to her. So I will never ever again buy anything from ** !! Ever. the bird made girggling noses and my friend asked why it did that and she said because she pushed in it when she put it in the bag. they all do that. my friend trusted her judgement !!! when my friend said she trusted her , and the seller said well she shouldnt have. soooooo the bird is going to the lab for testing and we are filing a complaint. she knowingly sold two sick birds at a sum of 200.00 .. so mad and it was not even my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom