How to hang a galvanized bell waterer?

Thanks, A.T. Hagan :)

Your pictures helped me to see what I was doing wrong. Told you I was a clueless newbie!! I did not realize that the top of the double wall fountain actually LOCKS ON to the bottom part... DUH!! So now that I have a brain, I am going to hang it up tonight. :)

DId you make that double hook that attaches to the chain or did you purchase it somewhere? I haven't been able to find anything like that at my local Ace hardware... and I also haven't found wire sturdy enough to fashion one of my own...

Thanks!!

The double walled galvanized founts aren't really made to be hung up, but a concrete block or wooden stand generally gets them high enough that litter material doesn't get kick in. If you can come up with a neat hook like A.T. then go for it and give it a try. I see that he has some homemade feeder covers as well so I bet he made the hook. I guarantee you that Ace has something you could use to make a good hook, print the picture and show it to the local hardware guru.

I have been using the Little Giant Auto filling founts on one of my coops for about 10yrs now, it was my first. I installed a rain barrel and set it up with gravity feed to the founts while I was waiting on the founts to arrive, UPS wasn't nearly as fast back 10 yrs ago. Here is a picture of my rain barrel.

I installed a clear plastic pipe between the drum openings to use as a level gauge, it has worked for many years now with little change and still feeds the bowls as good as it did the first day it was installed.

I looked and looked and can't find a picture of my Little Giant Auto bowls, mine are hard mounted with galvanized pipe not hung with flex pipe like Biddies. I have one the same size as 7 biddies and the next smaller size as well. After having both I wouldn't spend the extra money for the bigger one as the small one stays full and will deliver just as much water. You don't have to get them from Amazon either as they are available at all the poultry supply stores and most hatcheries online.

My bowls are nearly worn out and are starting to become brittle after 10 years of use. The brass pieces are beginning to get pitted and hard to move as well, I have had to change out the valves a couple times and it is nearly time to do some major maintenance on them or replace them completely. I have used both nipples and Auto cups on my other coop and my tractor and have to decide in the near future what route I want to take to keep the birds in this old coop well watered and happy. Stay tuned and we will see soon.

Great idea. We are building a new coop and run. I made our feeder that will hold 50 lbs at a time, but I have been needing a good waterer.

When if first got my water it was a real chore to figure out how to get it on the hooks without tipping it and it pouring every where. I have two chains and hooks so i have to hold it and hook it up (feel bad for my neighbor when i ask him to watch them) i'm sure he pours water on himself and the girls. That double hook thing that was posted is awesome way better than my two chains.

Could you post pictures of your coop, waterer, feeder and poop tray. I have similar ideas and would love to see how you have done this. The more angles the better.

I have my double wall waterer up on blocks at about chicken neck level... took care of the bedding in the waterer problem.
Then I hung a chunk of wood over top of it so they'd be discouraged from jumping up on top and the free swinging chunk of wood will knock them off should they try. My next watering problem is how to tell the water level from outside the coop. My first thought was drill a hole in top and install a dipstick, but quickly realized the breaking the vacuum would flood my coop making me the dipstick. I have clean water now, just no idea how much.

Where did you find the hook you use to hang the waterer? Do you know what that type of hook is called?

This is how I do it:

2011-07-19%252019.29.43.jpg

2011-07-19%252019.28.05.jpg

I've never had a handle pull off. My oldest tractor is over five years now and the rest (six others using these waterers) range from two to four years. Never had a waterer break from being hung. Even with the tractors being moved every day. This is all with the Little Giant waterers, not the Harris Farms such as Tractor Supply carries. Those do not seem to be built as substantially as the LG models.

Do note that the points of the hook have been bent over. This is important. A full five-gallon waterer will weigh over forty pounds. You don't want any sharp points sticking up when you go to hang it. Keep the hooks spread as far as the handle will allow and the waterer will always hang straight and not leak.
Hi there!! Where did you find the hook to hang the waterer????

Back
Top Bottom