How to hatch eggs. i desperately need help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackyardCountry, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    We are thinking about letting our hens hatch some eggs this year but we are so clueless!! We have no idea what to do. please give advice or links!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You have to wait until they go broody. Then mark the date on the eggs you want her to sit, and slip them under her. 18 days later, chicks, if they are fertile and she is a good mamma.[​IMG]

3. LolaIsAChicken

LolaIsAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Edmonton
    I am assuming you have a rooster. I would leave 6 or 7 eggs in a nest and see if someone sits on them. I have two hens that like to sit on eggs and get nasty if you take them away. I just had a fall hatch of a surprise 3 chicks from eggs they hid from me. When they raise them it is really no work at all and so much fun to watch them raise! Just let nature take its course and leave eggs in nest. I also had a young one that went broody during her first few weeks laying. I am collecting some eggs to plant in a nest in the next week, hopefully some hen will take the bait!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Doesn't it take 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by