How to Have an Enjoyable Flock

I used to have California Whites (Leghorn/Califonia Grey cross) that would peck my BO rooster - four at a time pecking him I assume to eat his feathers although I didn't notice any feathers missing. Maybe they were just trying to dig a hole in his skin? Of course he sat there and took it. All grew up together and had organic chick starter to eat, Redmond Mineral Conditioner available (salt), and lots of ranging space/coop space.

As soon as I read about Leghorns being cannibalistic I got rid of them. (I looked it up, whether it was the breed, as I had never seen any of the breeds we have tried do that.)

The info. is out there on the web that they have that reputation. It varies from flock to flock, but I didn't want to see it progress to blood-drawing.

Now I have Minorcas and Andalusians, and they are VERY nice birds. I love them.

It can be helpful to know what a breed's reputation is, even if you don't experience problems.

Interesting to see people's varied experiences!

Last edited:
Is beak trimming hard to do? I am a newbie to the whole backyard thing, but I do want to have white leghorns for their egg production. I actually placed my order today and I am adding 3 white leghorns to a mixed flock. If they start any drama they will be dispatched. But if I could minimize problems with beak trimming until they get their act together, I would do it.
I agree that many people seem to get into this with little research or thought- just saw some fluffy chickens at a TSC. So far my chickens have been fabulous pets- but first a foremost they are livestock. Just like cattle, hogs, and horses. I wouldn't EVER keep a horse that was aggressive to people or snacked on its herd mates- I won't keep a chicken either.

Is beak trimming hard to do? I am a newbie to the whole backyard thing, but I do want to have white leghorns for their egg production. I actually placed my order today and I am adding 3 white leghorns to a mixed flock. If they start any drama they will be dispatched. But if I could minimize problems with beak trimming until they get their act together, I would do it.
I agree that many people seem to get into this with little research or thought- just saw some fluffy chickens at a TSC. So far my chickens have been fabulous pets- but first a foremost they are livestock. Just like cattle, hogs, and horses. I wouldn't EVER keep a horse that was aggressive to people or snacked on its herd mates- I won't keep a chicken either.
I don't know how to beak trim, and I personally wouldn't. Also there are pinless peepers (chicken blinders) that can be put on birds who are pecking others. Sometimes they work.

Oh, I just remembered that I had 2 California Whites a few years before my above experience and they didn't peck anyone. Hmmm. So there you have it...one flock owner and two experiences.

Edited the above to state I wouldn't trim beaks whereas previously it read I wouldn't unless there was a problem. I didn't mean to imply that I would trim beaks.

Last edited:
Truly, beak trimming is only necessary with crowded cage birds. Backyard birds given adequate space will never need their beaks trimmed. I don't care what breed they are.

Truly, beak trimming is only necessary with crowded cage birds. Backyard birds given adequate space will never need their beaks trimmed. I don't care what breed they are.
That right there. It's barbaric. It's the only way the birds could stand the heavy confinement they were kept in.

The key to having a good experience with a backyard flock is careful planning and breed selection.

The first step is to select a coop. Although more expensive, the plastic coops - Eglu, Formex, Brinsea - have fewer issues with mites and are incredibly easy to clean.
<snip>

Remembered a recent post regarding a design flaw in one of the Eglu's that cost a BYC member her entire flock. Below is a link to one of the posts in the thread explaining the problem with the design.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-ever-my-flock-is-dead-or-dying#post_12253339

Chicken with a trimmed beak. Who, in good conscience, could do that? I understand the necessity in confinement. I don't raise my birds that way, so this would never happen here.

chicken_beak_cut_off.jpg

I just wish he had worded his opinion differently. After all, his statements were based on "agricultural studies". A back yard flock's dynamics are completely different than an agricultural flock.

Personally, I have had much more trouble with "dual purpose" breeds. And they eat a lot more feed..........

Uh... he is a she, and the dynamics are not all that different. Dual purpose breeds will eat more feed - but they give more meat. They are also much easier to handy.

The blinders can cause permanent vision problems and are now banned in most, if not all, of the EU. If you are reluctant to trim, you can find Bumpa Bits at Omlet's US website. You can also contact Cutler's Supply and obtain regular bits - ask them for size information and feeding directions.

Trimming is unpleasant, but not as unpleasant as debeaking. I use a very sharp toenail clipper to remove the very tip of the beak. Look inside the mouth to see where the living tissue ends. Just take off the sharp upper beak tip and be very careful of the tongue. You can also use a Dremel tool on the tip. It will take two people. Some people take the birds to a veterinarian.

Bumpa bits and ring bits are easier.

Trimming is far less unpleasant than watching an aggressive bird "pickout" another layer.

That is an extreme form of trimming. I am discussing only removing the very tip of the upper beak, the original form invented in Ohio in the 1930s. Originally minor trims were done on chicks if they began eating each others feet, and on layers as they came into production to prevent vent picking. The beak grew out - which is why it was retrimmed at point of lay.

Back
Top Bottom