How to help a pullet getting bald

Cannot really figure out which one to remove. Mr. No. 1 is probably causing the girl going bald but he is chilled and tries to control the flock while the Mr. No. 2 is not so popular among girls and looks more of an independent guy but he rarely attacks the others... By the way, the No. 1 is Swedish Flower and No. 2 is Ixworth...
I would separate them for now. Give the ladies a break and give you time to decide.

Often prefabs advertise a certain amount that they can supposedly accommodate but it is unrealistic. What are your dimensions? Also, cockerels mature faster than pullets and this often causes problems. Even if they are the same age it is a good idea to keep the boys separate until the ladies are laying to allow them time to mature and catch up. Best of luck!
The coop is 4 x 8 and the run is 20 x 40 according to my husband who built them... I guess they are pretty big for 9??? Boys separate might be a good idea but maybe I should keep a few girls in the run while the rest go out to the yard or something?

The coop is 4 x 8 and the run is 20 x 40 according to my husband who built them... I guess they are pretty big for 9??? Boys separate might be a good idea but maybe I should keep a few girls in the run while the rest go out to the yard or something?
4x8 would be ok for 8 birds following rule of thumb of 4 SQ ft per bird. Please do not leave any females with the boys after separation. Repercussions could be death. Male hormones are no joke..

Back
Top Bottom