How to help a pullet getting bald

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
I have two cockerels and seven pullets that are 5 months old. One of the pullets is getting bald on the head... Not bullying, but seems like the cockerels pull off her feather off the head when they mount on her. I cannot use a chicken apron of course, then what should I do?

I would immediately rehome one of the cockerels before their behavior escalates and she gets hurt. That or separate both cockerels from the flock.
Thanks... thinking of rehoming one of them but which?! The boss one is chilled and controls the girls but my guess is he is causing the pullet losing patch of feather.

That's a lot of testosterone for such a small number of pullets.

What are the dimensions of your coop and run? Can the pullets escape the cockerels' attention?
The coop is is not so big but it is built to be able to accommodate 15 chickens, and the run is large, too. They spend daytime in a large fenced yard. Maybe I haven't provided enough for the girls to escape from the cockerels... They go under raspberry bush to escape from the cockerels now.

The coop is is not so big but it is built to be able to accommodate 15 chickens, and the run is large, too. They spend daytime in a large fenced yard. Maybe I haven't provided enough for the girls to escape from the cockerels... They go under raspberry bush to escape from the cockerels now.
Often prefabs advertise a certain amount that they can supposedly accommodate but it is unrealistic. What are your dimensions? Also, cockerels mature faster than pullets and this often causes problems. Even if they are the same age it is a good idea to keep the boys separate until the ladies are laying to allow them time to mature and catch up. Best of luck!

No matter what you do, 2 is one too many.

I would definitely separate until you can decide but one really should go. For the girls' sake.
Cannot really figure out which one to remove. Mr. No. 1 is probably causing the girl going bald but he is chilled and tries to control the flock while the Mr. No. 2 is not so popular among girls and looks more of an independent guy but he rarely attacks the others... By the way, the No. 1 is Swedish Flower and No. 2 is Ixworth...

Cannot really figure out which one to remove. Mr. No. 1 is probably causing the girl going bald but he is chilled and tries to control the flock while the Mr. No. 2 is not so popular among girls and looks more of an independent guy but he rarely attacks the others... By the way, the No. 1 is Swedish Flower and No. 2 is Ixworth...
Try out #1. He sounds better. And it’s up to the girls anyway.

Back
Top Bottom