How to help isolation chick

lizhurni

Chirping
May 22, 2022
HI everyone! I have a baby chick with a respiratory infection. The vet advised I separate it from its other 2 siblings. How do I keep him from getting too cold/lonely? I know they are social animals so I don't want him to be bored or lonely but I also need to keep the other two healthy. The vet said the outlook isn't great for him anyway but I have to give it a shot! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is this vet knowledgeable about chickens? Infections aren't contagious or is it an illness? What did the vets say it was? You can give it a mirror or a stuffed toy to cuddle.

If he had the respiratory problem while being housed with the others then I wouldn't even seperate as they've already been exposed. If he survives he will also expose them as most respiratory illnesses make them carriers for life.

Is this vet knowledgeable about chickens? Infections aren't contagious or is it an illness? What did the vets say it was? You can give it a mirror or a stuffed toy to cuddle.
She spoke to a fellow vet who knows more than she does. She did say the illness is contagious to separate them and just said it was a severe respiratory infection. Would a mirror help? He's got a sock in there until I can get something for him

If he had the respiratory problem while being housed with the others then I wouldn't even seperate as they've already been exposed. If he survives he will also expose them as most respiratory illnesses make them carriers for life.
Should I wait until he improves a little? So far the other two are showing no symptoms

She spoke to a fellow vet who knows more than she does. She did say the illness is contagious to separate them and just said it was a severe respiratory infection. Would a mirror help? He's got a sock in there until I can get something for him
A mirror will make it think it isn't alone.

You can but like I said before, even if he fully recovers,depending on the respiratory illness he has, he will always be a carrier and spread it to them once he's back with them. Did the vet give you a name on what he believes it is mycoplasma, coryza?
I'm sorry she didn't tell me what the illness was called. She did give me an antibiotic to give to him twice a day which leads me to believe its bacterial as opposed to viral?

I'm sorry she didn't tell me what the illness was called. She did give me an antibiotic to give to him twice a day which leads me to believe its bacterial as opposed to viral?
Also give nutri drench in water, peppermint or rosemary essential oils on the bedding to help her breathe. You also may want to add a couple of drops of kefir or buttermilk or runny yogurt for probiotics. I hope she picks up soon!

Not 100%. Sometimes antibiotics are given to help with any bacterial infections that can happen due to respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia. What are his symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom