1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How To Humanely Euthanize A Chicken..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrszlopez, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Ive been trying to nurse my injured hen back to health. She had a broken leg & weve tried everything. Eventually, it healed up & she began walking on it. After a little while of her being inside, we felt she was ready to live outside with her friends. Now, after about a month or two of her being out, her leg has gotten worse. It is now completely backwards & she walks in circles. When It rains, she stays out in the rain. I cant see her suffer anymore, but I know that emotionally & physically - i cannot handle culling her myself. I dont want to be the one to personally kill her. I couldnt live with myself. I just want to know, if theres any way to do it with out breaking her neck or chopping her head off.. I would really love it if she just fell asleep & died in her sleep.. ? Maybe theres someone in my area that can cull her for me ?!? Im in Central NJ..

Mods, If this is in the wrong spot, please move it. Thanks !

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I'm sorry you have to do this, I remember your posts when she first was injured. I am going through a similar dilemma with a 7 week old chick... I look forward to any answers you get as I'm not comfortable with the options you mentioned either.

Nancy

1 person likes this.
  3. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Quote:Thank you for responding. We will just have to wait & see what others say !! Its so difficult. Just thinking about doing it makes me bawl like a baby [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Won't your vet do it for you? I am sure if you give them enough $$$$$ they will.

5. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Quote:If I had enough $$$$$$ then im sure that would be possible [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    See if you can find an old retired vet who you can give eggs or comething.

7. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm sorry this is happening if you can't handle culling her i would get someone to do it for you. [​IMG]
    I have only used the 2 you mentioned as it's the quickest way so they don't suffer.
    I have read here some put them in bags to suffocate i find that to be cruel.

You might could get a local vet to put her to sleep
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    My animal shelter will euthanize a dog for $20. Surely they could do a chicken for that, or less.

1 person likes this.
  9. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Maybe I could get the shelter down the road from me to do it. A friend of mine has her license to euthanize dogs, so maybe she could get the stuff for me so she can do it. Not sure if it would work the same way. I couldnt suffocate her though.. No way.. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I just did this about a week ago. I used a old cooler filled it with a bottle of peroxide and a box of baking soda and put a wire floor at the bottom so she wouldn't be getting all wet and put a nice soft towl and shut the top and she just fell asleep. Im sorry about your girl [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by