How To Humanely Euthanize A Chicken..

Emzyyy, the gas chambers for dogs and cats at the Shelter is one of the most cruel and torturous deaths that they can go through. It is absolutely terrifying for them and many Shelters are getting rid of them because of it. Never believe that that end is "humane" for animals.

mrslopez, what did you end up doing? I have a hen who is terribly ill, I have a call in to my housecall vet but she gets very busy. It would be so nice if Maggie would go in her sleep but how often does that happen?

My daughter played with my one month old baby chicks and one of hem fell andcould not move any longer.

After 4 days of watching her suffer I decided is was time to euthanize her but could not bring myself to perform the break the neck thing. I placed her in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with a mayo container filled with white vinegar. I dropped about 3 tablespoons of baking soda and quickly closed the bag.

The little bird died within 2 minutes with very little movement.

I'll place her in the freezer until my daughter comes home so we can bury the dead bird.

Sorry to say this, but the vinegar and baking soda worked 100%.

EMZYY....I just started my "farm" of laying hens...they are beginning to start their first lay. I have been reading a lot on this site, which I love, and ran across this. I am sure I will have some problems in the future. So, you just pour a bottle of peroxide and a box of baking soda in the bottom of the cooler, put a wire on the floor so she wouldn't get wet and closed the door. This puts them to sleep? I had no idea this would do it. This will, I'm afraid, be something I must remember. Thank you for posting this...

I remember when I was a little kid, I was out making a snow fort. I was out there for a long time, and I got really sleepy. When your body temp drops, you get sleepy. I laid down to sleep (would have died) and just then my mom realized she couldn't see me any more from the kitchen window.

The freezer isn't painful. Think of how close in nature they are to lizards. When it gets cold where I live, Iguanas drop out of the trees, sometimes they're dead, sometimes they're just in suspended animation, depending how cold. Just sayin'.

I have a 40lb turkey I have to euthanize within the next few days. Any suggestions? I have had the advice of just shooting him, to culling him to breaking his neck. I cant do any of that. He is bedridden with an ulcer on his knee. I seen the carbon monoxide post which seems possible if I could get a big enough tote and garbage bag. Any other suggestions as I am unsure if thats the best route.

Emzyyy, the gas chambers for dogs and cats at the Shelter is one of the most cruel and torturous deaths that they can go through. It is absolutely terrifying for them and many Shelters are getting rid of them because of it. Never believe that that end is "humane" for animals.

In the 70's the shelter in Palo Alto, CA used to put several animals in the chamber at the same time... It was very disturbing to me.

Last edited:
I guess there are just some ways better than others. None of them pleasant. My Aunt used to put terminal parakeets in a comfortable box, seal tight, cut a hole, run a hose from the tail pipe of the car into the box. Carbon monoxide ~ night night. Only takes a few min. Don't leave it too long you can damage the engine.

I have never had to kill a chicken yet. I have them act a bit odd. They will sit down or not eat much, then next thing we know they have died. One of them came and sat on the door step.

Back
Top Bottom